Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Help request 2002 stratus SE rear strut

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help request 2002 stratus SE rear strut

Hello,

So I already have a thread going about the strut mount being broken but I have run into a snare and am hoping for some advice. I am creating this thread specifically to call for help.

I have removed the old strut and the remnants of it. I tried installing the new monroe quick strut and I had to stretch the knuckle down far to make the bottom part of the strut align and fit over the knuckle. I mean once it was on I could not push down on the knuckle at all and the bottom bolt wouldnt line up right, the knuckle would need to have gone down further.

I also picked up the dorman replacement mount. I attached this to the old strut and tried replacing it and same issue, I couldn't get the strut over the knuckle.

I am not sure what to do at this pooint. I NEED to get this car on the road tomorrow. please any advice is more than greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Issakar

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM
issakar
Captain

Just a bump on this to see if anyone knows. Do I need to adjust the lateral links to make it work perhaps?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
BillS
Captain

try using a strong screwdriver to pry the strut upwards to line up holes, place between knuckle and bottom of strut and lift upwardsits a pain sometimes to get bolt in

Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
issakar
Captain

HI, Thanks for the advice.

I ended up reusing the old strut since the strut itself wasnt bad, just the mount. After installing the new mount i did a comparison of the 2 parts and the quick strut was just about a quarter of an inch longer than the OE part. The hardest part of installing the OE part was finding 2 bolts to hold it on with.

I would still like to know what I would have to do to use the replacement part for my own knowledge but I'm just glad the car is back on the road.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 PM
BillS
Captain

the quick strut will work out of the box(have on my 04),once you get it on knuckle you have to compress spring a little by either lifting up underneath with a screwdriver(have to fight with it) or if you have a spring compressor you can put that on once strut is on knuckle and tighten a few turns to relieve pressure to get bolt in

Quick Reply: Help request 2002 stratus SE rear strut