Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus diy information

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:32 AM
Dodge Owner 0196
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some DIY info on how to replace a broken clockspring on a 2001 Stratus. Can you help?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 PM
kgillaspie
Default Motor swap

Is there a way to swap an 01 2.4 SBEC motor to a 04 NGC computer?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM
buster711
Default Great idea

Glad to see a section with job specific categories to save search and sort time....But my set up for help request is a tad long so sorry....NOW my problem: On 2000 stratus Replaced the valve cover gasket because of some smoke rising up between the engine & fire wall pass side...could not really detect where smoke originated but there was oil pooled in spark plug wells when i changed them so with the gasket being a known issue i figured i would start there...After installed gasket still had a little smoke same place so took to a garage i trust and when picked it up he said he had it running for 20 minutes in the garage with no smoke or oil leaks...nothing on way home but next drive 2 days later started smoking again...
Fun part w/dealer...since under recall for steering fluid hose leak took it there for recall fix and told of smoke issue...They did work to fix on steering hose and on way home noticed MORE than before smoke coming out so took back week later (no driving till then) and after looking at it they emailed me a $845 estimate for everything from $50 wiper blades to oil change $38 (i just did one), $385 for solenoid pack replace for leak AND $179 valve cover gasket for leak there...
Needless to say i just went back for car and had to STILL pay $100 for diagnostics...
Sorry about the rambling but wanted to set up the question and hopefully save you time from having to ask me more information..
On installing that new rubber valve cover gasket i made sure all surfaces were clean and lined it up to what i saw as perfect and crisscrossed my screw inserting and torquing..
Now my questions: is there ANY way to see if oil is coming from the gasket @ the rear corner bottom and draining down to get burned up on the manifold? Also could the power steering work they did have continued to leak and they are saying it is valve cover gasket just because it's a known issue and they don't know i already replaced it?..Third and final inquiry could the solenoid leak be heating enough to bring smoke up to the engine compartment mimicking a leak elsewhere?
I know it's a lot to read for 3 or 4 small questions but just trying to be thorough..So 'thanks for taking time to read it and I deeply appreciate any and all guidance you can offer on this perplexing issue...
Thanks again...buster

Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM
mcfarlie6996

Originally Posted by master tech
SUBJECT:
Revised Rear Suspension Lateral Control Links
MODELS:
2004 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
DISCUSSION:
A change to the rear suspension rear lateral control links is scheduled to enter
production on or about August 6, 2003. The change involves using non-adjustable
rear suspension rear lateral control links that do not allow adjustments to be
made to the rear suspension camber setting.
In the unlikely instance that the rear suspension camber should become out of specification,
adjustable rear suspension rear lateral control links have been released for service
(Individual camber specification is: -1.1 to 0.1 degrees. Cross camber specification is: -1.0
to +1.0). For vehicles with suspension sales codes SDA, SDC or SDE use adjustable rear
suspension rear lateral control link p/n 05135565AA and for vehicles with suspension sales
code SDD use adjustable rear suspension rear lateral control link p/n 05135566AA.
Use the service procedures outlined on TechCONNECT for rear suspension rear
lateral control link replacement and suspension alignment.
For vehicles originally built with adjustable rear lateral control links continue to
use p/n 04764965AA for sales codes SDA, SDC and SDE or p/n 04764961AA
for sales code SDD if link replacement is ever necessary.

So after having my 04 Stratus coupe for ten years, I'm barely learning that the rear an not adjustable. I feel a bit ripped off over all of those tire alignments that I've got with each new tire sets when in reality they only did the front and never mentioned the back being non-adjustable. I need help finding an adjustable lateral link for the rear but I can't seem to find any that have an added component for the control bar. Here is a link to pics of my right rear tire and components. http://imgur.com/a/A1p0P#2 The 3rd picture is the best which is the view when looking from behind the car but as you can see, it's a very unique piece because the control bar is almost directly connected to it. I saw that you gave the part number of 04764961AA but I haven't had much luck finding anything. I'm located in the states if that matters.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:45 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarlie6996
So after having my 04 Stratus coupe for ten years, I'm barely learning that the rear an not adjustable. I feel a bit ripped off over all of those tire alignments that I've got with each new tire sets when in reality they only did the front and never mentioned the back being non-adjustable. I need help finding an adjustable lateral link for the rear but I can't seem to find any that have an added component for the control bar. Here is a link to pics of my right rear tire and components. http://imgur.com/a/A1p0P#2 The 3rd picture is the best which is the view when looking from behind the car but as you can see, it's a very unique piece because the control bar is almost directly connected to it. I saw that you gave the part number of 04764961AA but I haven't had much luck finding anything. I'm located in the states if that matters.
The info given is for the Stratus sedan, the Coupe is a completely different car. Are you trying to adjust the camber? Is so, its easy to push out the top of the wheel. Heres a kit you can buy, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...JrwaAoUz8P8HAQ or do what most other people do and buy longer high grade bolts and stack washers to achieve the same goal for cheaper.

If thats not what youre after, just search the part for the same year Mitsubishi Eclipse, its hard to find anything while searching for Stratus Coupe parts.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
mcfarlie6996

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
The info given is for the Stratus sedan, the Coupe is a completely different car. Are you trying to adjust the camber? Is so, its easy to push out the top of the wheel. Heres a kit you can buy, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...JrwaAoUz8P8HAQ or do what most other people do and buy longer high grade bolts and stack washers to achieve the same goal for cheaper.

If thats not what youre after, just search the part for the same year Mitsubishi Eclipse, its hard to find anything while searching for Stratus Coupe parts.
Sweet!! I had bought this already a couple days ago with the hope it would work and I'm really glad someone replied that this would help. Thank you pearl01stratcpe!! I'll post with my results hoping that it'll help others in the future.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:17 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarlie6996
Sweet!! I had bought this already a couple days ago with the hope it would work and I'm really glad someone replied that this would help. Thank you pearl01stratcpe!! I'll post with my results hoping that it'll help others in the future.
No problem, hopefully that gets your alignment right. Let us know

Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 AM
mcfarlie6996
Default Finished and my results.

So here is the Album again with some added photos http://imgur.com/a/A1p0P#0

After taking 3 hours on the right side, I learned what NOT to do and the left side only took an hour. So these are my recommended steps.

1: Remove tire.
2: Remove the lower connection of the strut because the tension on the strut makes it hard to get the new bolts in with the thick washers.
3: Loosen these rubber joints in this picture http://imgur.com/a/A1p0P#7 there's one on the left side too(total of 3 rubber joints). You need to loosen these because these are also under tension and made it near impossible to mess with which is why I struggled so much on my right side.
4: Remove all 4 of the bolts and add the washers(I used 3 on each bolt https://i.imgur.com/hYKaYfb.jpg) along with the new longer bolts. I only screwed each bolt in a half inch so I can keep everything loose as I got the remaining bolts in. It was difficult to hand tighten so I used a ratchet with very little pressure to get the bolts in while still making sure they were going in correctly.
5: After you have tightened all 4 bolts, from here it's just a reverse process.
6: After I got the tire back on I noticed my steering wheel wasn't straight anymore. It's because the thick washers turned my wheel right(opposite of left) slightly causeing my back to swing out to where to correct this I had to turn my steering wheel to counteract it. It was drastic but still noticable. This was a fairly easy fix by loosing this bolt http://imgur.com/a/A1p0P#3 and adjusting the opposite side. I had to adjust it a couple times to see what looked the best by eye balling it and taking it around the block and throwing it back on the jacks.

All in all it turned out pretty well and hopefully this will help any future handy-man mechanics.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM
dyopak2
Default Replacing a valve cover gasket

I need to replace my valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals on my 1996 Stratus with a 2.4 l engine, are there any special instructions on how to do this job properly?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 PM
MargueriteC1973

I am looking for instructions on how to replace the inner & outer tie rods on my 2003 Stratus SE...

Quick Reply: Stratus diy information