Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1997 Trans acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Arcrftmch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 Trans acting weird

Just wanting to pick a few brains out there.

I have a 1997 Stratus, 2.4L, 41TE Auto Trans. Just yesterday it started acting a little weird. It is kind of intermittent, but after driving for a while, doesn't matter whether it is city or highway, it will not shift into overdrive until you reach 45mph. And when you take your foot off the gas or brake to slow, passing 45mph again it shifts into direct drive. The shift is smooth, and all other gears work fine. There is no engine revving with it so I know the trans is not slipping. If you shut the car off and then restart, the trans shifts normally up through all the gears, even into overdrive before 45mph, but once crossing the 45, slowing down it will drop back into 3rd. It has been a great car and can't complain too much about this due to the fact of the car has 230,000 miles on it. I am thinking it could be a solenoid, pressure switch (both of which are in the solenoid pack), speed sensor or just contamination. The fluid is clean, and the filter was changed approx. 10,000 miles ago. It was leaking fluid from the gaskets under the solenoid pack, but I changed the gaskets and stopped the leak about 6 months ago.

Thanks for your input. I do have a trans off a 2000 stratus SE if I need to rob parts for troubleshooting. I do have the factory service manual, but unlike the maintenance manuals I am used to dealing with (aircraft), the description and operation is not very informative. But after reading, I have come to the conclusions above. There are no codes from cycling the key, but I am going to get my hands on an OBDII scanner and see if there are any stored P codes this weekend.

Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Your problem sounds more like a seal problem, When was the last time someone had replaced the seals in the transmission? It also could be the solenoid pack too.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Arcrftmch

The only seals I have ever replaced are the pan gasket, halfshaft seals and solenoid pack gaskets.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have a spare solenoid pack. You can try that and see if there any change.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Arcrftmch

I do. I was going to try that on my next days off.

Quick Reply: 1997 Trans acting weird