Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 dodge stratus 2.7 ES

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
congvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge stratus 2.7 ES

Hi guys,

I just got a 2001 stratus 2.7 for about 1 week. So far, there are 2 main problems:
- Heater does not work (AC works very well though, after I drive for like 20mins, heater does work but not very well). A friend suggests me to replace the thermostat, and I got a quote for $160 to replace it. So, I just want to confirm that after I replace the thermostat, will the heater work?
- It may have overheat problem. After running a while, the engine heat hand on the odometer is above the middle a bit. And when I stop and check, there is some bad smell around the engine area. The friend above suggests to replace water pump. Is that right?

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:22 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A bad water pump may be the cause of both your problems. Not having the coolant flowing through the system properly will cause it to overheat and to not blow hot air.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
congvan

I just realize there is one more problem. This morning, when I ran out of my house, it worked fine. Then, I stopped at a parking lot and started it again. It did not start, it shaked and rough. Then, luckily it starts again but very weak and could run again. When it shaked, I felt like there is something stuck in the car. What could be the problem? And could anyone let me know how much will it cost to fix it? and replace the water pump? Thanks guy! I am so worried since I am a student and thought I got a reliable car.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
ratsttam
Captain

The 2.7 is known for sludging up the oil and causing all sorts of issues. With a possible overheating issue, you probably blew a head gasket out.

To get a quote on prices, you'll be best to get with a local mechanic that you trust. Each shop charges different rates and hours for certain jobs.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by congvan
I just realize there is one more problem. This morning, when I ran out of my house, it worked fine. Then, I stopped at a parking lot and started it again. It did not start, it shaked and rough. Then, luckily it starts again but very weak and could run again. When it shaked, I felt like there is something stuck in the car. What could be the problem? And could anyone let me know how much will it cost to fix it? and replace the water pump? Thanks guy! I am so worried since I am a student and thought I got a reliable car.
If your water pump was bad it could have caused it to jump time. That would cause it to run rough once it started. Looking at between $1500-2500 depending on the shop.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge stratus 2.7 ES