Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transmission Whine / Whining Trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Whine / Whining Trans

2002 SE with 2.7L (Sedan)

Transmission whines when not in or out of the throttle. Ex. when excelerating there is no whine, when decelerating there is no whine. When in the middle, like neutral zone where the car is pretty much gliding or in 10% or less throttle I get a whine. Everything works really well, no slipping, shifts are crisp, just noisy. If I turn the radio on I don't even notice it but something tells me I should be paying attention. I did change the trans filter and 5 quarts of new fluid. The car has just under 78K miles so I doubt that it's going out, just wanted to see if this little bit of noise was normal for this model or signs of something approaching.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You maybe hear the transfer gears. This was common problem back in the 1990"s. If it starts to get louder, then I would look into fixxing the noise.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
You maybe hear the transfer gears. This was common problem back in the 1990"s. If it starts to get louder, then I would look into fixxing the noise.
Under 78K on it and the miles that were put on it were mostly long road kind of miles. Not sure what it is but doesn't seem to affect the performance. Will hope for the best, maybe just normal noise that I am just not used to. Had a 79 Camaro that did the same thing but it was the rear end. No issues, just like to make noise. Who knows....I guess if it breaks I will know what it is.

Quick Reply: Transmission Whine / Whining Trans