Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Strange idle at random times

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
FunkSkunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange idle at random times

2003 SXT Stratus 2.4L auto w/150,000-ish miles, Tranny completely rebuilt two years ago, new timing belt with a few months ago, new plugs, new wires, new Crankshaft PS, new Camshaft PS, new battery, new coil pack

This has baffled my mechanic so I'm reaching out to you experts of DodgeForum for help! He did find two vacuum leaks which he fixed.

This can happen under load, cruising, any gear, any speed or rpm, doesn't matter the weather either.

The car will be fine and then at random times it will hiccup as if the engine didn't get fuel or spark for a second. And it can hiccup a couple times in a row, as well as being at varying intensities. For example it may only dip a 100 rpms or it could drop 1000. It makes no sense! oh and the kicker is no codes are being thrown either!?!?!?! UGH!

is this fuel, spark, computer, vacuum?? any help would be great, thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
FunkSkunk

If anyone has any ideas that would be really helpful as I need this car as a daily driver. I can't keep rolling the dice that at some point it's just going to die on me.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:58 PM
shanem107

Have you tried running some seafoam through it? You might have a dirty or clogged fuel injector maybe.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 PM
FunkSkunk

Ok well the other day I was driving and it was doing fine until I had to accelerate quickly, engine started stuttering and bucking. I had to pull over and hit the flashers so I didn't get rear-ended! Soo I drove it straight back home. What I've discovered under a super light pedal pressure it will do ok moving along, I'm talking 1/4 to 1/5th pedal travel. As soon as I give it even a 1/3 on the gas it will begin to stutter as if it's not getting gas/spark/exhaust??? anyway as soon as I got home I could smell the rotten egg smell, so I thought it was a clogged catalytic converter. Prefect I've figured it out...... WRONG! after replacing that it still has the same symptoms!! UGH! Still no codes either after driving it around for 15 minutes.

Could this be as simple as an O2 sensor? or my valve cover leaking as I saw in another thread? or am I missing something? Please somebody come to my rescue. Oh and the best part I don't get paid till next Tuesday so I'm broke with a busted car. ya fun

Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you cleaned out the throttle body? could also be a faulty tps or iac...have you checked your tranny fluid?

Quick Reply: Strange idle at random times