Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus Sedan or Avenger Coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know if a cat is majorly clogged there is a very poor low end performance...how can I tell if it is just somewhat plugged and may be part of the culprit for low MPG?

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine had a bore scope that we looked down the o2 sensor hole to the top of the cat. There were maybe 15 holes still open in mine, the rest were plugged shut. I had no CEL.

So I got rid of them, now I have custom headers in place of the factory manis and cats.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

As far as the coupe goes, if you like an eclipse pretending to be a stratus that's great. My 2.7 sedan eats RT coupes no problem, straightline and handling, and in my opinion rides way nicer.

A little work your 2.4 sedan could be way more fun to drive, and if it doesn't owe you anything, it doesn't hurt to put a little money in it to make it something you'll enjoy.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by smokesxt
As far as the coupe goes, if you like an eclipse pretending to be a stratus that's great. My 2.7 sedan eats RT coupes no problem, straightline and handling, and in my opinion rides way nicer.

A little work your 2.4 sedan could be way more fun to drive, and if it doesn't owe you anything, it doesn't hurt to put a little money in it to make it something you'll enjoy.
Yeah, I don't mind a "Dodge Eclipse" as I previously mentioned my background started with a Sapporo, then a Conquest, Laser (which essientially is a 1st gen Eclipes) and now looking at basically a 2nd gen Eclipse with Dodge badging. So it'd fit right in with me.

As far as ride, I have a truck, so just about anything is bound to be better, and I have no need for "family ride" as my wife now has a Pacifica that we would take anywhere when "Little Fockers" start popping out.

You say your 2.7 will eat the 3.0...what if the 3.0 had the same things done to it as your 2.7?? I guess you say you still have handling, but I'm sure there are more suspension mods available for an Eclipse clone than a Sedan...just given tha nature of Eclipse's. Also, what about looking into a Coupe SXT with a 2.7 stick rather than the R/T??

I know I came here asking for advice/opinions, and it seems I keep shutting them down...I think I prolly just had my mind set on not wanting to keep a 4 door Automatic. If I could find more info on atleast the expense of swapping to a manual in the Stratus, I'd be much more likely to want to keep it around. I know I can do mods that make it faster and all, but that's not exactly what I mean by more fun to drive. I think I just want to play with a clutch and the gears...even autostick doesn't do much for me...

Speaking of autostick, back when the Eclipse/Stratus first came out, I test drove an R/T with autostick and my 94 Intrepid would blow it's doors off...I figured with a stick it'd have to be a bit faster having most likely lower early gearing to get up and at it quicker.

Searching the forum and even google as to the approximate cost to swapping to a stick, just isn't being very cooperative. It just seems that these days it's much easier to just buy the car the way you want it rather than trying to build it from parts of like 3 different cars.

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 02-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
You say your 2.7 will eat the 3.0...what if the 3.0 had the same things done to it as your 2.7?? I guess you say you still have handling, but I'm sure there are more suspension mods available for an Eclipse clone than a Sedan...just given tha nature of Eclipse's. Also, what about looking into a Coupe SXT with a 2.7 stick rather than the R/T??
It did, other then the ecu tuning, but had the manual advantage. Lol As far as suspension mods I am currently dropping B&G lowering coils, KYB GR2 struts, new ball joints/tie rod ends in mine, so there's plenty for them there too.

Why not just buy an eclipse? They can be found cheaper then stratus coupes.

As far as a 2.7 coupe I would stay away as they were only in the problem years for the 2.7.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

I will say the 6g72 3.0 is a very solid, torquey, and hardy motor. My Acclaim is the 12v 6g72 and is very fun to drive. 24v obviously made more power in stock trim, but seemed to have the same high-end fall off. Without extra work they seem to be all low-end.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

It did, other then the ecu tuning, but had the manual advantage. Lol As far as suspension mods I am currently dropping B&G lowering coils, KYB GR2 struts, new ball joints/tie rod ends in mine, so there's plenty for them there too.

Why not just buy an eclipse? They can be found cheaper then stratus coupes.

As far as a 2.7 coupe I would stay away as they were only in the problem years for the 2.7.
I didn't find any 2.7 manuals on autotrader anyway...but a lot of 2.4L sticks are available. I was looking into Eclipse's too, but this is a Dodge forum so I was only discussing Dodge's (as "Mitsubishi" as they may be) But in my area (within 200 miles) the Eclipse is more expensive than the Stratus Coupes.

I also think I have a preference for a Dodge label as I was born and raised near Motor City and GM country...so the even though much of the automobile manufacturing has left the areas, and foreign cars have populated rapidly in the past 10 years, and I myself don't have a preference between Dodge and Mistubishi, and newer cars are mostly chinese anyway, everyone around still gives "that look" to foregin car drivers...though most people I am around I get "that look" anyway cuz I drive Dodge's in GM country...but there are the MANY still who say well, at least it's American...though they almost can't even say that anymore...

If you had a choice then...without adding any performance mods, would you prefer a Stratus Coupe 2.4 stick or 3.0 stick or go through the expense and hassle to convert my 2.4 Sedan into a stick...using only fuel economy and occasional "fun" performance driving in the factoring.

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 02-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

I personally would find an RT sedan with the 2.7 and a stick, but given your criteria.....

The 3.0 stick. I average well over 30 with my 3.0/3spd auto acclaim. The torque makes them a blast without being in the high revs.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

I will say the 6g72 3.0 is a very solid, torquey, and hardy motor. My Acclaim is the 12v 6g72 and is very fun to drive. 24v obviously made more power in stock trim, but seemed to have the same high-end fall off. Without extra work they seem to be all low-end.

...I must not have refreshed the page before posting my previous post cuz this ALMOST answers one of my questions in the post...

Anyway, I think that describes about what I am looking for. A torquey low end performance band...I don't need to go high speed on a whim any more...I am thinking about building a toy that will meet that particular need anyway...I just want something that is a stick and can be a bit amusing taking off at the traffic light, and maybe some moron driving like an old biddy on the e-way that I can drop to 3rd gear and zoom by and let back off to the speed that I was driving before.

BTW, I KNOW you are just trying to help, and I keep shutting out almost everything you suggest, and have a habit of sounding like a jerk when I do so...I know you mean well, and so do I, your comments just help me come up with more questions and ways to more specifically explain exactly what it is that I am looking for. I really do appreciate all of you help, suggestions, and comments, despite how I may come across...I am not well like around one forum I frequent for this reason, but many other forums I seem to be understood, so I just want to clarify that.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

I personally would find an RT sedan with the 2.7 and a stick, but given your criteria.....

The 3.0 stick. I average well over 30 with my 3.0/3spd auto acclaim. The torque makes them a blast without being in the high revs.
Ok, you mentioned problem years with the 2.7...what are those so I can avoid them if I look into an RT Sedan? I just want a sporty look, which 4 doors just seem to kill...unless we are talking a Charger with a Hemi...but then, that was a car built to be sporty with a V8, and just offers a V6 for economy...the Stratus seems to be opposite, built for a 4 dr family car, but made some sportier versions...the coupe eliminates that part of the Stratus. But I will look at some RT Sedans, as I recall the headlights are different and give it a different look, maybe I can settle for something like that

Quick Reply: Stratus Sedan or Avenger Coupe??