Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

engine swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM
monsterstrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap question?

I'm a learrner by doin and I'm going to try to swap an engine out, I have looked up that all the electrical components need to be changes and also the tranny, but OK here it is I have an 2004 dodge stratus it has the 2.4L mitsubishi 4G64, I want to drop a 2.4 L GEMA I4 turbo ("Warhawk") engine in it but how do you know if iit I'll fit?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by monsterstrat
I'm a learrner by doin and I'm going to try to swap an engine out, I have looked up that all the electrical components need to be changes and also the tranny, but OK here it is I have an 2004 dodge stratus it has the 2.4L mitsubishi 4G64, I want to drop a 2.4 L GEMA I4 turbo ("Warhawk") engine in it but how do you know if iit I'll fit?
Maybe this will help your search. You don't have a Dodge Stratus. You REALLY drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse

Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
monsterstrat

Haha... yeah I know its the same motor, my sister has the eclipse gs with the same engine in it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M13901

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00151

Any engine will fit in ANY car if you purchase these items as well as any extra materials. It's just a matter of how badly you want it to fit. But in the cases of newer cars, and by newer I mean about 1990 and up...it is usually much better, easier, and cheaper to buy the exact car you want rather than try to rig it up by using a body you already have and wanting to fit a different engine/transmission...the computer needs changed, the entire wiring harness needs changed as the chances of any plugs being the same are slim to none, It's usually harder to fab up proper mounts for engine and transmisson, and many other things that you can run into issues with...can it be done? Sure, but like I said, you really are best off buying the right car, or settling. If you want the GEMA 2.4 because you want more performance, then look up after market turbo kits and other mods available for the car you have. If you want to do this swap because you blew the current motor, then you are in a good position to just rebuild what you have with performance parts and such and make it strong enough internally to easily handle all the HP you want to add. I don't know for sure about these 2.4L but I had from WAY back a few 2.6L Mitsubishi engines that were rated just over 100 HP stock with no turbo turn into 400+ HP Fire breathing dragons...BUT, that is an old school block and head system that was built to LAST and can handle all of the stress from the added power. I don't know the durability of the 2.4L to acheive this, but I believe they can create more power than you really need.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 AM
monsterstrat

Thank you that is extremely helpful...

Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by monsterstrat
Haha... yeah I know its the same motor, my sister has the eclipse gs with the same engine in it.
It's not just the engine that is the same, the mounts, trans, electrical. For all intents and purposes, you have an Eclipse.

The eclipse users tend to do more swaps than Dodge owners, and you can find more information about what would be needed to go from one engine to another, as far as different mounts, changed computers (or needing an aftermarket ECU to make it work), etc.

Quick Reply: engine swap question?