Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

dodge stratus brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 PM
dakota1955
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge stratus brake problem

My brake pedal was going almost to the floor. I checked pads (70%left), Bled brakes and they improved-hard,solid pedal. When I test drove it, about 1 out of 12 times on the brakes yielded the same results (pedal to floor), Anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 PM
ks99slt
Default RE: dodge stratus brake problem

I think you might get more help if this was posted in the Stratus forum.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

TiMmAy!!!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

with the pedal going to the floor after you bled the system it sounds like its something such as the piston on caliper loosing pressure or even maybe the master cylinder bleeding of pressure.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM
z00mflight
Default Brake to floor = Air in fluid

I have 1998 Dodge stratus. I used to have to press the brake to the floor to stop it from moving. A week ago, I was changing brake fluid and broke the rear centric wheel cylinder (for drum brakes). It turns out it was already cracked, and air was getting in there, causing the car to brake bad and have a loud noise while driving.

I replaced both rear centric wheel cylinders for $20 a piece, now it's good braking and no more noise. Hope this helps

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...el+Cylinder%29

Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by dakota1955
My brake pedal was going almost to the floor. I checked pads (70%left), Bled brakes and they improved-hard,solid pedal. When I test drove it, about 1 out of 12 times on the brakes yielded the same results (pedal to floor), Anyone else had this problem?
Would you be willing to share which stratus you have? 95-00 are first generation. If you have an 01+ we will NEED to know if it's a coupe or sedan. Also, since you are having braking issues, do you have disk/drum or 4 wheel disk. The more information you can share, the more we're able to help you out.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Xchryslerengr
Exclamation Stratus Rear Brake Hose(applies to Breeze & Cirrus with Drums

I have a 99 Stratus with Drums that I have been chasing problems with. I want to share my solution with you.
The rear brakes have been dragging for awhile. I changed spring hardware and installed new linings.No luck. I loosened the master to see if it was applying the rear brakes due to a too long rod. No luck,
The brakes could not be turned after applying them for several minutes. I loosened the bleeders after I tried turning the rear brakes - Squirt! out came a small squirt of fluid - and the brakes were free. I tried it on the other side. Same thing. So I locked down the bleeders.
But when I loosened the brake hose where it met the main brake line on either side after applying the brakes once. It did not free up the brakes and fluid pressure was still trapped in the brake cylinder. I was puzzled -that meant BOTH brake hoses were restricted letting high pressure fluid in then trapping it for several miles.
I bought both hoses and replaced them- problem solved. I cut one of the old hoses in several places-no restriction. Then I cut it through where the bracket clamped over the hose and found it smashed by the bracket! The root cause of the problem.
Needless to say the overheating of the rear brakes caused me to have to also replace the linings and both drums and later one of the wheel cylinders but now I have got great brakes and the car gained a couple MPG!
This should apply to 96-2000 Cirrus and Breeze with rear drums too.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
danarob662

I have a 2000 dodge stratus es ( brakes) gos to the floor after drive for 10 miles .no nosie. Fule is full no leakes can anyone tell me what can it be.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danarob662
I have a 2000 dodge stratus es ( brakes) gos to the floor after drive for 10 miles .no nosie. Fule is full no leakes can anyone tell me what can it be.
does your car still stops?
also, when you shut off the engine, pump brake few times, does the pedal gets hard?
You probably either have brake fade, mainly due to low quality brake pads, which suffers brake fade a lot faster than higher quality pads.

Or your master cyln is on it's last leg.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM
deadkenr
Rookie

It's likely you need a master cylinder.

Quick Reply: dodge stratus brake problem