Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
toddalanpotts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control problem

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem described many times here before. I turn on the heater to blow out from the floor vents and it works perfectly until I turn the headlights on and the air gets redirected to the defrost and the air changes from hot to cold. I have pulled the reset fuse and wiped the errors out temporarily but the same problem returns after a few days of normal operation. Has anyone who has had this problem ever found a root cause or part that is causing this malfunction. I have a 2002 Stratus sedan SE and really like this car other than this one problem...Thanks for any help. Todd

Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Roger D
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
BillS
Captain

best advice take it to dealer or someplace that has a DRBIII scan tool they can access system and run diagnostics(see if there are any codes(different then check engine ones don't cause light to come on won't show on regular scanner)) i would try and get in when it is acting up . could be anythig from body control module going bad,or bad wiring(ground) or switch in light circuit since you say thats causes it to act up,or bad a/c switch. the body control module handles both a/c and exterior lighting functions.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
rmckellar

With my 01 Stratus, I pulled the fuse suggested in Roger D's link which would reset the calibration of the mode door. Once I got tired of that process after 5 or 6 times, I finally replaced the Mode Door Actuator. Since then, no problems.

While it was acting-up, my Snapon scanner would read a code for the Body Control Module (BCM) related to the HVAC system. I can't remember what the code was. Access to codes beyond the genric SAE codes requires using a high-end scanner such as a DRB III or a Snapon.

As suggested by BillS, your problem may be more than the Mode Door Actuator itself. Your best option might be having it diagnosed by an automotive techinician with the experience to trace your problem as you describe. You may have a problem beyond the scope of experiences within this forum.

Quick Reply: climate control problem