Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1997 Stratus [HELP]

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
MrHatchi87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1997 Stratus [HELP]

Hey there,

I've had my Stratus for almost 2 years, and It's been a GREAT car. I've had some issues with it, like a cracked the oil-pan; now i burn a little oil, so every 2 weeks, I add some oil. The fuel pump went out 2 times ( first time was my fault, the other was because the shop messed up).

I've replaced the pads and rotors once, and had new tires put on; and aligned. So basically the basics for a high mileage car. Recently, I just put new belts on it, since the last ones were SHOT.

She's got 163,XXX miles on her, and I feel she'll go till 200K If I take care of her. It's a 1997 2.4L. I haven't flushed the transmission yet; but that should happen sometime soon. This is the issue with her now; and previously since i bought her for $1000 (down from $1800):

At around 45-50MPH, it feels like it lurks or chugs; as in something isn't firing right, or not getting enough fuel into the cylinders. I haven't had a tune-up, but not sure it will help. It feels like it rattles at that speed too; and its not tire related, or suspension ( had it all checked when I did safety and I/M ). It also chugs or rattles when turning it off; also while driving 0-15MPH, it sounds like there is a whole in the exhaust below the engine. Are there any ideas based on what I've posted?

I know its a lot to read, but I feel that it's better if you guys have all the information upfront.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this LONG message about my "Green Monster"

** I will be posting a few videos of the issues I've described to help understand the whole situation in the next day or so **

Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM
MrHatchi87

Also, if it helps the forum, when I'm sitting at a light, (or just idle) and the air is off the car doesn't have a whole lot of issues. Whereas if i turn it on, the RPM's drop for a little and it feels like it's being strained. Not sure if that helps at all

** I also feel that It could be the EGR valve as well after doing some research ***

Last edited by MrHatchi87; 08-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM
MrHatchi87

~~bump~~

Quick Reply: 1997 Stratus [HELP]