Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Trouble starting / cranking too long

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Rocket67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting / cranking too long

2002 Stratus 2.7
Ok, now that the CEL is fixed and the camshaft sensor has been replaced....what the heck else can be causing this problem. The car used to start right up now it starts but takes about 3-6 seconds. I know that seems like normal but it used to start within the first couple of turns of the starter (like 1 second).

Once it starts it runs great. I have listened to see how long the fuel pump is running once the key is turned on and it pressures up in like a second. If it was the fuel pump/filter I would think that the trouble would be more than a starting issue. Is it possible that the coils/plugs need to be replaced? It doesnt' seem to misfire ever, just doesn't start as quick as I think it should and as quick as it used to. I don't want to shotgun this issue....but I am willing to throw a few bucks at a good idea. Anyone else? Maybe next weekend I will pull the plugs and check them out. Pretty sure they are original and the car has about 83K miles. For some reason it just doesn't seem like that would be it. Maybe crankshaft sensor?

Quick Reply: Trouble starting / cranking too long