Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus SE shifting rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
clarkbradley1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus SE shifting rough

Hello everyone,
I am not too great at mechanics so I will be as detailed as I can. I looked on the forums here and couldn't find anything describing my problem.
I have a 2000 dodge stratus SE with a 4 cylinder 2.4 L I think with auto transmission. The odometer has 134,000 ticks on it, but it runs like a champ! Except...
When normally accelerating from a stop light or sign, etc. the car seems to shift a little rough from 2nd to 3rd gear. If I use really light acceleration, it's not as bad, but it still seems like a rough transition in gearing. My wife thinks I'm paranoid, but I feel like its something that should get looked at. I have noticed on some sites that a transmission fluid flush and filter change may be in order. What could possibly be the problem with these symptoms? I am hoping my transmission isn't going to need to be replaced! It does not slip out of gear, just has a little bit of a rough time getting to the gears. Thank you in advance for your help! I have used the Chrysler forums on my 96 Sebring and it was extremely helpful.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM
go-part
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blackstratillac
i read on the sphere recently that strat trannys conform to how you drive.

when the battery is disconnected for a 15+ minutes the computer is reset and automatically calibrates all the data and ratios of driving habits during this time and adapts to best functionality under the given conditions. hang on ill find the link...
^ try this

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
clarkbradley1

Thank you! That was very interesting on how to retrain the computer. I actually have started noticing it working much better over the last week or so. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't having serious issues that would leave me stranded somewhere. We have a little baby and during the winter that would be bad to break down in the middle of nowhere. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
nowwhatnapster

I just thought I would chime in. I have a 04' stratus v6 2.7L with automatic transmission. Same symptoms as you 3rd to 2nd gear. I usually notice it downshifting. I will have to try the above mentioned fix.

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus SE shifting rough