Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

04' Stratus oil light coming on before and after change.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
nowwhatnapster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' Stratus oil light coming on before and after change.

Hi all, my wife has an 04' stratus SE Sedan 2.7L v6. I'll give you a little history and explain the problem. The car does not get regularly serviced. I did the last 2-3 oil changes myself. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and a mobil 1 filter. I try to shoot for every 6k/6month. I noticed the heat was only working when the car was on the highway. It was low on coolant for awhile... I added some coolant and the heat started working normal again. Meanwhile her car was overdue for an oil change. I noticed the light coming on during sharp turns and stopped on a hill. I checked and it was very low on oil. I would assume this is because it was running with hardly any coolant for some time and the oil started burning off quickly. I added some oil as a temporary fix until it could be brought in for an oil change. It improved some, but not much. The oil light was still coming on with the added oil.

Finally got the car brought into a local shop for a tire rotation and oil change. I provided the oil and filter. After the oil change, the oil light was still coming on again sitting at red lights, not even on a hill.

I checked the oil when the car was on flat ground and warmed up. It is way over the full line. Like a good quarter/third of an inch over the full line. I would assume either
A: there is far too much oil in the engine and that is causing poor oil pressure
B: their is sludge in the engine due to the poor maintenance and oil is not circulating because of the sludge.

Opinions? What would you do in this situation. Drain off some oil and see if it improves?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
BillS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doubt its to much oil , could be sludge,bad oil pressure switch, loose wire i would have it checked,my 04 2.7 did the same thing the last year i had car couldn't find anything wrong just drove it and put in neutral at lights

Quick Reply: 04' Stratus oil light coming on before and after change.