Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1997 stratus won't rev up and idles rough

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Dahl87banshee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 stratus won't rev up and idles rough

Hey guys I have a 1997 dodge stratus. It ran fine for 13000 miles that I've owned it for but now with the 213,000 miles on it I was driving and it started losing power and would bog if I gave it more gas. I cleaned the injectors off but still is doing it. Idles rough and won't rev up. It's a 2.0 5 speed. Any ideas of whats causing this?

Note: it's has happened 3 times. I just run new gas through the line and it runs fine but does it again. The gas is all new and drained. No water in it.

Thanks, Jordon

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by Dahl87banshee
Hey guys I have a 1997 dodge stratus. It ran fine for 13000 miles that I've owned it for but now with the 213,000 miles on it I was driving and it started losing power and would bog if I gave it more gas. I cleaned the injectors off but still is doing it. Idles rough and won't rev up. It's a 2.0 5 speed. Any ideas of whats causing this?

Note: it's has happened 3 times. I just run new gas through the line and it runs fine but does it again. The gas is all new and drained. No water in it.

Thanks, Jordon
Sounds like either the plugs and wires need changed, or the possibility of the valve cover gaskets worn out and leaking some oil into the cylinders, causing misfire conditions.

Pull the plugs out and look for oil on them, and see if they need changed. If you didn't do any "tune up" to it in the past 13000mi, than it's probably time anyways.

Could also be the o2 sensor. Get some codes read and let us know what comes up.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Dahl87banshee

Mechanic said it might be a fuel pressure regulator? Anyway to just rig it up to work so I can sell the car or will I have to order one?

Quick Reply: 1997 stratus won't rev up and idles rough