Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus SE tranny and engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
wolfman709
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2000 Stratus SE tranny and engine issues

So, I am in need of some help. I have a 2000 Stratus SE 2.5L V6 that is having some issues. It has been sitting for quite sometime now because of these issues and I only have a little idea on where to start.
-> Main issue to start with is that when I attempt to start it, it won't stay running in park. It will start and I have to maintain RPM above idle or it dies. I have been able to get it to stay running after I shift it into a gear other than park and then I can shift it back to park. I have talked with a few people that are a bit more mechanic savvy than me and they think it could be a couple things, a sensor issue of some kind or issue with the torque converter. Anybody have any ideas if this is true?
-> Another issue is that, before the previous issue started, It takes it forever to shift out of park. Doesn't matter what the external temperature or how often its run, it could be sometime before the tranny shifts out of park into R,N,D after the shifter is moved. Idk if this has an affect on the previously stated issue or not. Any ideas or inputs is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
D Ryan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman709
So, I am in need of some help. I have a 2000 Stratus SE 2.5L V6 that is having some issues. It has been sitting for quite sometime now because of these issues and I only have a little idea on where to start.
-> Main issue to start with is that when I attempt to start it, it won't stay running in park. It will start and I have to maintain RPM above idle or it dies. I have been able to get it to stay running after I shift it into a gear other than park and then I can shift it back to park. I have talked with a few people that are a bit more mechanic savvy than me and they think it could be a couple things, a sensor issue of some kind or issue with the torque converter. Anybody have any ideas if this is true?
-> Another issue is that, before the previous issue started, It takes it forever to shift out of park. Doesn't matter what the external temperature or how often its run, it could be sometime before the tranny shifts out of park into R,N,D after the shifter is moved. Idk if this has an affect on the previously stated issue or not. Any ideas or inputs is greatly appreciated.
Just for a place to start maybe try this!

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus SE tranny and engine issues