Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Headlights pointed too low?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 04:03 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights pointed too low?

For any 1st Gen Stratus Owners, have any of you had trouble in dark driving conditions with visibility? It seems that the headlights are pointed straight but are still kind of low, and even with the high beams it is sometimes difficult to see pedestrians or animals that are about 20 yards away. I have very good vision so its not that, but I do notice it is more difficult to see in this car than in others I have driven. All of the cars ive driven prior have been large, so I dont really have any point of comparison. Should I adjust the headlights or is this generally what its like in small cars?

Old 09-16-2005, 09:35 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: Headlights pointed too low?

given the year of your car, how cloudy are the headlight housings? if they aren't clear and are cloudy looking that could be a big part of your problem.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Ice_Man_67
Professional

I have a 95 strat and my headlights are a hell of alot better then most other cars i've been in. I'd say get them cleaned and look in the owners manual to adjust them.

Good Luck

Old 09-18-2005, 01:10 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

Im still waiting for the owners manual I got off of ebay. The headlights look a bit foggy, can I clean that myself with some glass cleaner on the inside or is there something specific I need to do. As for pointing them, these have angle ajustment tubes but I might as well ajust them when I clean the headlights...

Old 09-18-2005, 12:19 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

Chances are the hazing on the plastic is the plastic itself getting old and having a haxe on the outside. I have read the some peolpe have had lock wet sanding and polishing it out. maybe almost as easy just to get replacements.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 AM
PARoadRunner
Professional

dunno if its possible to get just the plastic replaced. Each headlight unit is $100 at the cheapest. I should be alright the way they are, I just have to get used to it I guess.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:39 PM
DacDiver

I have a 98 Stratus with the same problem. I was down at the local auto shop talking to someone about getting brighter lights or running lights. When I told him that my headlights sucked he suggested I cut polish them. I went to the local hardware store and bought a polisher for $30 and some cut wax. About 15 minutes later I had headlights that I could actually see with. What it was is my plastic lenses were all scratched. I would suggest giving that a try.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 AM
canadian.miles

my headlights sucks also, the lenses are a little foggy which im sure doesnt help, however when I hold the lever down that switches them from high to low they become very bright all of a sudden while im holding it down, let go and it becomes much less intense, when I hold it down again it goes to the low but is very bright, when I release it dims again, is this normal or would this be my problem, should they be that bright all the time or is that for a reason

thanks in advance

peace
jack

Quick Reply: Headlights pointed too low?