Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 dodge stratus smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
tuxxrushu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 dodge stratus smoke

Hello,

A few days ago after driving my car for about a hour I noticed a strange smell, no smoke, no heat, belt seemed ok just a odd <rubber burning> smell. With the lack of other issues I let it go.

Then today when getting home I had a little bit of smoke (white-ish) from the ac compressor and belt.

The belt seemed ok and it seemed to be blowing coldish air ok on the way home (about med on ac dial).

I believe the ac compressor was making some noise for the last week too but it wasn't so loud I was alarmed, its a older car with lots of little sounds.

So my question is if it is the AC compressor going can I just drive the car with the ac off? Will it still smoke you think or cause additional damage?

I don't have tons of money to fix my car so if I can go without ac for awhile if possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF the compressor is starting to sieze and dragging the belt, you can drive with the AC off, but keep in mind that the defrost setting will kick the AC in too, even if it's not lighting up the AC button.

Quick Reply: 2004 dodge stratus smoke