Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

05' stratus radiator fan does not cycle off (not overheating)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 PM
49ersfan87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 05' stratus radiator fan does not cycle off (not overheating)

I'm hoping a Dodge tech may see this post and have dealt with this issue before. I've got a 05' stratus sxt 2.4L that has been an awesome, reliable car for the 133k miles I've put on it so far.

I've run into a small issue with the radiator fan; it will not cycle off when the outside temp is hot (even though the car is running at a normal temp ( a little below half on the coolant temp gauge) and the a/c is off. What has always happened with this car is I will drive home from work (25 miles) with the ac on and then about 2 minutes before I get home I turn off the ac to get rid of condensation on the evaporator. Once I park I leave the engine on if the radiator fan is on and the engine temp is at half until the engine cools enough to kick the fan back off (a little below half and a little more than the 3/8 mark). Just recently the fan will no longer turn off, I have to turn off the car for the fan to stop, and once i restart the car it stays off until it reaches the half mark, then it will again not shut off after getting back to a normal temp. I have replaced the ECTS and both the low and high radiator fan relays but the issue continues. I know the PCM could be my culprit but I would like to see if there is anything else I could try first, if not I will take it to Dodge and let them diagnose the car.

The other strange thing this car has been doing for a while that hasn't bothered me is that the radiator fan will come on after about 2 minutes of driving while the engine is still cold and then the fan will kick off when it reaches normal operating temp. Maybe the two issues are connected?

The only reason I don't like the fans staying on is because I don't want to burn up the fan motors. I cannot tell if they are turning off once I leave from a stop because I cannot hear them over the road noise.

Obviously this was a lengthy and I imagine confusing post so to anyone who reads this and can help, thank you, I can give more info if needed, thanks!

Last edited by 49ersfan87; 07-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 05' stratus radiator fan does not cycle off (not overheating)