Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Grinding noise from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
binky42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise from rear of car

Hello,

I was on a road trip this weekend and noticed my 2000 Stratus making a strange noise. When turning left, or sometimes just when slow breaking, there is a rotary, grinding noise coming from the rear of the car.

I tried jacking the car up and checking for play in the wheels to see if it could be a bad bearing, but the wheels felt solid. I haven't taken everything apart yet to see if I just need new brake pads (likely), but I haven't ruled out a bearing either.

The strangest thing is that the sound is worse after driving for about 10-15 minutes. When I first get going and turn left there might be no noticeable sound, but several miles down the road it will be very noticeable.

I've googled around and seen lots of similar problems, many of which were brake or bearing related, but none that mention the sound getting worse after the car is warm.

A couple of places mentioned differential problems. Is that a possibility?

Has anyone heard of a brake or bearing noise getting worse after driving for a while?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
binky42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No replies, but I figured out what this was. In case it helps others in the future, I wanted to let everyone know what this was.

The automatic self-adjuster mechanism, which attaches to the brake shoe, was fused together. It needs to swing freely. Because it was fused it cause the brake shoe to warp, and the edge of the shoe was sticking out a bit and gouging into the drum, which caused the noise and a large fresh groove in the drum.

Managed to fix the adjuster mechanism with a little TLC and lubricant, replaced the shoes and drum, and everything works fine again.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise from rear of car