Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus RT Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 AM
nevermore6630
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus RT Idle issue

I will try to make this short. Bought a used 2004 Stratus RT 3.0 liter 13 months ago. On high RPM engine light would come on, and a check would reveal 4th cylinder misfire. Took it to the dealership 3x to get it fixed. After the third time my car would idle rough when in drive or reverse @ ~600rpm, but in neutral or park it would idle fine @ ~700-750rpm. Well last night when I stopped at a red light the car idled sub 500rpm regardless of which gear I was in. I managed to get home, however when I went to go check out the car after it cooled up, it would turn over, and run then it would stall out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM
willyinmd
Default Problem

Possible Cause, I have been though many make and models of cars and many times have ran across this issue and I think I know what your trying to say. I would disregard the misfire may be due to a bad or unclean connecter. you Over drive on your transmission has a lockup converter and the fluid supply that is by a solenoid that computer sends a ground to when overdrive takes place. sometimes that solenoid acts up and gets stuck. or the ground supply to the solenoid not going off by way of computer. could be another sensor like speedo giving the computer a bad reading, thus junk in junk out wrong info. When you turn the car off everything resets and in drive sets to 1st. been awhile sense I worked on one of them trans, work on one in a 04 stratus with a Mish trans I put a whole solenoid pack in that one.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM
willyinmd
Default If it the Mish trans

When The Mish trans was acting up the main connector was bad. 2 of the pins inside rotted away leaving a open circuit. I would check your wiring 1st. and make sure no wires a rubbing anywhere and grounding out. Most likely your converter is stuck in lock-up causing the engine to stall out. May want to change your trans fluid and filter out as well may unlock something sticking.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM
nevermore6630

Thanks, I got in contact with my dad and he suggests Idle Air Control Valve or Throttle Position switch, said they were cheap replacements. Looking online suggests same thing or the PCM. However for the Idle Air or Throttle switch looking online, they cost $150-$270 each. Any suggestions? I guess I could take it to pep boys for a diag, but thats $60 bucks, and they will want their part and install it themselves, and they are expensive.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM
willyinmd
Default lol one other thing

check fuel pressure Regulator..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM
willyinmd

Sometimes the fuel pressure Regulator on its way out dumps way too much fuel. try to disconnect the vac line if your engine has on to the reg and see if it idles any better.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
willyinmd

so many things on that one it could be. In the 04 the d amm fuel filter is made as part of the whole fuel pump assy, that's something else I had to fix on the 04.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
nevermore6630

Thanks, I will check all of the above when I get home and post an update.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
nevermore6630

Well, I could have only wished it was something cheap, but it is the throttle body, I am going to try to rebuild it.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 AM
willyinmd

Other then cleaning there is not much to go wrong with that. You ever change your plugs out? Electrodes could be worn to the point of a wide gap, so wide it could effect your idle. many things to rule out on an idle issue.

Quick Reply: Stratus RT Idle issue