Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
pappyt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission woes

hello, i'm new to this site. looks like i found the right site. i have a 04 stratus 2.4 i belive, sedan, 98,000 miles. so sunday morning tempts in the 30's, started to leave, put it in drive and nothing,let it warm up a little,then it would move, started up the road and it would'nt shift, so turned around,came back and got my other car to make the trip. got back home, tempts in the 50's, took the stratus for a drive and it shifted just fine, pulled in the driveway and checked the fluid and it would'nt touch the stick. so this evening got some atf+4 to put in it. check it cold it was full, let it run for 20 minutes or so,and it would'nt touch the stick so added atf a little at a time so not to overfill, used the whole quart. so do i need to add more atf till full? sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough. thanks for any help!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM
BillS
Captain

welcome to site, ,not very familiar with the 2.4 transmission, with the amount of miles on engine have you ever changed the transmission filter and fluid(should be changed every 60,000 miles) ,have read a lot of problems are caused by dirty fluid/filter. just idling engine really won't get it up to operating temperature ,i would add more at least til it gets close to add mark(i had an '04 2.7 when i changed fluid there wasn't much of a drop between hot and cold temp fluid levels) then drive it a little and check and add as necessary

Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM
pappyt

thanks bill that's exactly what i'm gonna do. i'm gonna start checking it myself, it sure not being checked when i have my oil changed !! can't depend on nobody! oh well, thanks again !

Quick Reply: transmission woes