Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Rough idle P0172 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 PM
ggreekggod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rough idle P0172 code

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2.4L DOHC. I recently changed the water pump but when I tried to start the car, it would turn over but not start. I noticed it was very, very low on gas (my son was the last to drive it!).

I added some gas but got no where. I thought I had burnt up fuel pump from what I researched. (pump was kicking in but no fuel). Changed fuel pump with same results.

Checked all fuses and relays. Disconnected fuel rail and was getting no gas out of injectors. Finally I pulled off short fuel line from fuel tank to fuel rail. Tried to blow thru it but couldn't.

Got a new fuel hose, installed, and bingo! Car started.

EXCEPT, now was running extremely rough at idle and wouldn't stay running without keeping foot on pedal. Drove it to get more gas but nothing improved.

After doing more research I started replacing parts:

- EGR and solenoid
- Crankshaft position sensor
- MAP valve (two different ones)
- throttle position valve
- Air intake control valve (two different ones)

Nothing worked.

No vacuum leaks that I can find.

Finally got a code that said bad checksum error on computer.

Got different computer and had it programmed. Still ran rough so the guy who programmed it did a little digging with his scanner and said it was running rich and trying to hold back fuel.

Finally ended up getting P0172 code saying same thing. Running rich at bank 1.

All parts were from junkyard so they were $5 a piece so that's why i tried a couple on some things.

So my next thing I will try is upstream O2 sensor unless someone has a better idea.

A couple of things I've noticed in all this. The fuel hose I replaced had a plastic piece in it at the elbow on fuel rail side. When I tried one at junkyard it was exactly the same way and I couldn't blow thru it. I found a 3rd that didn't have the piece and this is what I used and finally got it started.

My question is does that plastic piece do anything? Does it regulate pressure somehow? Could this possibly be why I'm getting too much fuel?

Another thing I found in my research is that some say O2 sensor is at open loop when car is cold started so doesn't factor into fuel/air ratio then. My car idles rough at all temps and stalls when parked.

I should also note that at the moment it will at least stay running long enough to stop at stop sign without dying. Also, at steady speed on highway it runs fine but you can feel a slight hesitation every few seconds. (Doesn't feel like misfire) more like fuel/air off.

I know this is long but I wanted to include as much as I could think of.

I've added a bottle of Heat and a can of Sea Foam the 2 times I've gotten gas for it.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Douggro
Rookie

I don't know what the object in the fuel line is or what the function is.. could be a pressure regulator. Fuel-injected systems run at over 30psi. Is it possible to put the original line back on and see if you have fuel flow with it in place?

Re: the O2 sensor. Yes, the sensor runs in open loop during the warm-up period. Closed loop would be no good - the catalytic converter is not up to temp to start functioning efficiently when cold and if the O2 sensor(s) have heater elements, they also need time to warm up. When the upstream sensor fails, the typical code is a "bank lean" error.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 PM
ggreekggod

I did put the old line back on. It worked (as far as getting fuel is concerned) but didn't correct the problem.

So if upstream O2 sensor is not used on cold start then no use changing it? What else could cause running rich?

I don't know what to try next.

Timing belt off a notch? If so, why would it not start and no fuel but now starts with rough idle?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Douggro
Rookie

The P0172 code usually indicates a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor as the primary cause, with vacuum leaks or fuel pressure problems as other possible causes. Check / clean / replace the MAF sensor and the circuit. I would not be changing the O2 sensor at this point. I'd be checking the MAF and the vacuum lines to make sure all is in order.

I thought about the timing belt being off a notch but I would expect to see error codes thrown related to the cam and/or crank position sensors from that, or getting misfire codes.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 AM
ggreekggod

This car doesn't appear to have one. I couldn't find it anywhere and Haynes manual only mentions 2.4L SOHC and 3.0L V6 engines. Mine is 2.4L DOHC and four cylinder.

Last edited by ggreekggod; 09-28-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Ok, with no MAF the next thing is the fuel pressure. Since you replaced that fuel line with a different type, you might be running at over-pressure which in turn is causing the rich condition. There is a pressure test port on the fuel rail. KOEO pressure should be 49psi +/- 2psi. Pressure should hold there with minimal leak-down with KEY-OFF.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:49 PM
ggreekggod

I do have the old fuel line back on but will test fuel pressure anyway. I did end up changing the O2 sensor. I used my scanner and found some more info and did more research.

SHRTFT1 -25 (short term fuel trim), LONGFT1 -25 (long term fuel trim) and MAP 11.8 inHg, LOAD_PCT 9.4, RPM 1408, VSS(mph) 47.

Found out that the long term is stored in memory so I thought maybe even if in open loop the computer is using longft info. I don't know if this makes sense but figured it was worth a try. I bought a downstream O2 sensor. Nobody had an upstream one but I tried the new one upstream first. Drove it for a few miles and no improvement. I then put new one downstream with same results.

Got same P0172 code. This time it read SHRTFT at -10.9 and long still the same. MAP 18.6, LOAD 20.8 , RPM 1952, 55 mph.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your timing is off. You may have even bent valves. Do a compression test and report back.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 AM
ggreekggod

Ugh. I was afraid of this. Probably won't get to it until this weekend but I'll check it out.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 PM
ggreekggod

I did a compression test. 1-205, 2-182, 3-182, and 4-182

Quick Reply: Rough idle P0172 code