Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

charging issue with 06 stratus

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:01 PM
ericluck
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging issue with 06 stratus

My stratus doesn't charge when engine between 10000 and 11500 rpm could this be an issue with the belt? I got code for air intake high voltage but i cleared that now no code. Could this be a battery issue ? Alt was tested at A Z and seems to be putting out 14 volts Battery tested good in car at 14 volts with car running. All connections seem good but car is at side of road trying to get it home .

Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm going to assume 10000 to 11500 RPM is a typo. Lol. If you mean 1000 and 1150, that's only 150 RPM's. How are you determining the alternator is not charging in that small RPM zone?

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
ericluck
Amateur
Default 06 stratus not charging

I have a tool that shows the battery and alt charge voltage. It shows battery voltage 8 through 13 volts with vehicle not running.Then when it's running it shows alt voltage between 9 through 14.In the range on Tach in the car when it reaches 1000 rpm to halfway to 2000 rpm the gauge shows no charge . After it reaches that certain point the gauge lights back up to strong charge.I cleaned the connectors just now on battery and put new battery in car and it's flickering the interior light's at a certain RPM. I put multi meter on alt and it's right at 14 vols it varies between 13.5 and 14.5 At Alt not battery Old battery is at 13 volts on multi meter out of car.Pain in *** to remove this battery .Who's briliant idea was that??Not complaining just a minor thing .Still wondering if it's belt or tension pulley.Regulator? Car gives 0 codes. Removed positive cable from old battery while running and car died .Didn't have to remove completely just loosened it whit old battery .Checking new battery now with clean cables old were corroded on neg side. It's a 2.4 4 cylinder. Had 460 cca battery in it now has 550 cca.Any Ideas. Will post findings.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 PM
ericluck
Amateur

Died with clean cables too

Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 PM
ericluck
Amateur
Default 06 stratus not charging

Checked alt plug with test light to battery cables while running on batt. power both lit one on + one on - read that means bad alt is this any indicator or is this BS? AZ told me it was putting out 120 amps .

Old 12-13-2015, 04:33 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Never trust a parts store test of an alternator. My alternator that melted down my wiring harness tested perfect on their tester.
2. If you remove a battery cable with it running and it dies, that almost always means your alternator is shot.

Quick Reply: charging issue with 06 stratus