Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Changing driver side control arm...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM
joezap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing driver side control arm...

Hi. My lower ball joint on my 99 Stratus needs replacing on the driver side, which means changing the lower control arm, as the lower ball joints aren't sold separately. My mechanic tells me that the bolt holding the control arm also holds other parts such as the motor mount. Further, he tells me that the bolt won't come out. He tells me that the only way he'd be able to change the control arm would be to drop the motor and transmission in order to access the bolt so that he can cut it off. Naturally, the car won't be worth keeping if I have to pay for that extent of labor. I thought I'd come here and see if this sounds like the only solution for this scenario. Many thanks!

Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Remove the bolts with the red lines.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 AM
joezap

Thank you for that. So I have the 2.4 engine. I believe the mechanic is talking about bolt #3. The bolt he refers to also holds the motor mount, and it's in a tough spot, and it won't remove through any means. He tells me that the only way to get it off would be to drop the engine and tranny and cut it off. Does this sound like the only solution? The mechanic has a good bit of experience and an impressive shop, but he's also still young.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Color me skeptical.. bolt #3 in the diagram is a bushing retainer bolt that probably goes into the K-member. I could see the #2 bolt being an issue with clearance getting it out completely to drop the control arm. But pulling the engine to get it out seems like an overkill solution.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 PM
joezap

Thanks, guys. Is that diagram of the 1999 Stratus? I hope not, because that isn't my setup, and the control arm doesn't look like that. On my setup, bolt #3 goes through the control arm, and the mechanic tells be it then goes through a bracket which connects to the motor mount. A bushing is not involved.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Douggro
Rookie

I have the Chrysler manual in PDF form for the suspension that details the procedure for removing / installing the lower control arm. Let me know if you want it and I'll give you a link to download it.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM
joezap

Hi Douggro. Sure, if it's for this car I'd be happy to view the link. Thanks so much.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Sure, no problem. Use this link to download the Suspension section of the '99 manual.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 AM
joezap

Thanks very much, Douggro!

Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Douggro
Rookie

You're welcome! Hope it has all the info you need.