Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Buying a 01 Stratus R/T

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Buying a 01 Stratus R/T

its hard to see, as it has a metal housing over it....its all black.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:08 PM
B_52
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things I see repeated complaints about: (If this is a Coupe)
(Isn't the 4door available in an R/T trim as well?)

The car is fully computerized (up to 10 onboard ECU's, and they talk to each other!), and difficult to mod. The engineers made sure you cant do much without big bucks!)
No aftermarket parts. (so don’t expect many)
The dash cracks. (Poor design/materials)
The motor mounts are poor quality and fail (fortunately there is an aftermarket option for replacements)
The trunk reflector cracks. (I just wrote up a possible fix to prevent it if yours hasn’t already)
The auto dimming rearview mirror has faulty connectors.
Doesn’t take to well to aftermarket alarms.
The coupe is a MITSUBISHI! NOT A DODGE! Understand that, and you will have no trouble with the parts houses!
The windows in the doors retain water inside, and often smell rancid when rolling them up.

I'm sure I’m missing a few of the more common ones, but these seem to come up often.
(I'll ad more as I recall them)
Vince

edited for spelling...

Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah..that trunk reflector will get you every time, but one thing to note, when it does crack, its sort of "inside", and it wont cause water to leak into the truck...

Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

goin back a few posts... i have an 02 R/T manual... i live in michigan and some mornings i have to roll out of my driveway in nuetral becuase i cant get it into reverse in the cold... then the shifts are very rough until the engine warms up... i have no idea why... i've only had the car a month and a half and its the first manual i have ever owned.... but i knew how to drive it so i didnt learn on this tranny. Any ideas what that is??

Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Jrseykid686

goin back a few posts... i have an 02 R/T manual... i live in michigan and some mornings i have to roll out of my driveway in nuetral becuase i cant get it into reverse in the cold... then the shifts are very rough until the engine warms up... i have no idea why... i've only had the car a month and a half and its the first manual i have ever owned.... but i knew how to drive it so i didnt learn on this tranny. Any ideas what that is??
Do you have the crappy stock leather bag around the shifter? I'd toss that thing quickly. I'm gonna throw mine out as soon as its warm enough to tear it apart. The leather stays super cold and makes it a Pain IN THE A** to shift period.

Also, try backing up into your driveway. Manuals can sometimes give you crap with backing up when you are on an incline. That's why I back into my drive. I typically let my car run for like 5 minutes or so in the morning on cold mornings to warm up some...

Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

i try putting it in reverse while still on the brake... i literally have to use both hands and pull back to get it into R... the boot doesnt seem to catch it... there is alot of play in it

Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

sounds like you may need to go see the transmission doctor there bud...

I'd check your tranny fluid and if your car knowledgable, I'd even pry off the pan on the car and check to see the filter/what's in the bottom of the pan as far as metal fragments...

Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Jrseykid686
Professional

it also grinds in between gears sometimes... but the not going into R only happens when its cold... and i am car knowledgeable so i can check the fluid... but im not going to take off the pan... it is under warrenty so i am not too worried about it yet... i kinda want it to blow so i can get a new tranny for free.

Quick Reply: Buying a 01 Stratus R/T