Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Buying a 01 Stratus R/T

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Ferox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 01 Stratus R/T

Like the title says im buying an 01 Stratus R/T. Anything i should know about this car before buying. Anything commonly break? Any Major problems in the engine or drivetrain?

This will also be the First Dodge i have ever owned.

~Ferox

Old 02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Wayward
Default RE: Buying a 01 Stratus R/T

Everything Ive read about the 3.0 drivetrain indicates it pretty solid. Thats one of the things that lead me to buy mine a couple of weeks back. The only comon recuring problem Ive seen. And mine has this. IS that the dashes of ours tend to crack.

Other than that Ive had no real probs with mine except for something minor that was the dealers fault and corected.

All and all so far its the best car ive ever owned and a fun lil car to drive. Plenty of pep even in the automatic form I have. Im sure youll enjoy it!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:29 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

They're solid cars. They're essentially a Mitsubishi Eclipse with different body panels. My door insert actually say Mitsubishi on it.

The real concern with these vehicles is engine maintenance. You have to do your timing belts on time or if they go....they'll take a valve with them....fubaring the engine. Beyond that, they're a solid motor and decent gas mileage.

I'm a bigger guy and I like the room. I am comfortable and while the car isnt as fast as I would like it to be, its fun to drive.

Enjoy the car and welcome to DodgeForum.....oh, make sure the owner's manual is in the glovebox....and if its not....and you are getting it from a dealership....make them get you one...

Old 02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have often wondered about the fear of the timing belt issue..because if you look in the owners manual, it lists it at 60,000, then again it says that it should be changed at 100,000, if not done at 60...

also, suppose that a car has been poorly maintained and such, as opposed to a car that has been driven by someones grandma its whole existance, the belt surely cant "Wear" the same...do you know what i mean? id like to know where mitsu gets this 60k number from..and does anyone actually know of a failure? i worked at a dodge dealership, and while we had lots of coupes get serviced, i never once sold a timing belt, and never saw a 6g72 powered stratus come in with a blown motor...

Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I've personally seen it on a Stealth and a 3000GT, but not on an Eclipse/Stratus.....but I do know it is at the very least, the only real concern about the car.....and again its something to just be aware of...not something i would stress over...

Old 02-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Wayward

YEah Mine has 92k on it now and im not sure if the previous owner had the timing belt done or not. Ill probably have it done at 100k myself just to be safe.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

seeeing as how i have only put something like 2,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months..it will be a while before i hit 60k...

i wasnt doubting you dr, just curious..

Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Ferox

I have always been a fan of the 2001 -2004 Stratus. The day i saw the first commercial i was in love. I happen to have been at a dealership yesterday browsing. I was looking at buying a 4wd Ranger. I have needed a decent reliable vehicle for some time. When i saw that Bright Dodge Red Stratus sitting in the front row i had to look. But it was the 5 speed that sold me. I wouldnt even have considered it if it had been an automatic.

I drove it for about 45 minutes and got pretty comfortable with it. I decided i wanted it.

I took the car for a 24 hour test drive while they get the paperwork situated. I wanted to really get to know the car before i made any major decisions.

It has 74,000 miles on it. Excellent condition. I could only find one scratch so far, about 3/4 of an inch long on the driver's side rear quarter. Very faint, should easily be able to buff it out.

Ive always been a fan of the infinity sound that comes standard in chrysler's vehicles. This car is no exception.

The only concerns i have is it seems kind of hard to get into gear sometimes and reverse is a little hard to get. I asked if it had been sitting a while and they said it hasnt been driven in over a month so im guessing the bushings are a little stiff. It has gotten better, but could be smoother.

Otherwise the car is very nimble and has enough power to get even me excited. And as a plus it does excellent on gas. Speaking of that, should i run Premium fuel or regular? I put premium in it. I figured since its a higher compression engine it would be better to use premium. Much like my old Ford Probe GT

Old 02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Wayward

Mine is indy red too! And the automatic isnt too bad. Mine is still pretty quick. I just have a whole lot of old people stop and go trafic around here and would not be able to enjoy the true joy of stick anyway.

Yeah, I must say the stock sound system is very nice indeed.

Not sure about the shifting stifness as I havent driven a manual strat yet.

As far as gas goes Ive seen debates about this.

As I understand it, the strat loves gas of all flavors. Although if you start using higher octane the ecu will "learn" to take advantage of the premium and then run like crap if you put regular back in. After the switch i think you have to disconect the battery to get it to forget it likes premium. Sometimes I think our cars are to smart for their own good heh.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

my ca runs better with better fuel in it...and at the track, i also run outlaw booster...on long trips, i run mid grade fuel, and i regularly run system cleaner through it..

i am very happy with my stereo, but i got a set of good subs and an amp for free, so they have been installed. the only problem that i have had, was that the stock infinity amp went bad...[:@]

i have driven a few manual RTs, and i was pleased with them..i didnt notice any shifting issues, and im used to a bmw shift.

Quick Reply: Buying a 01 Stratus R/T