Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Changing spark plugs in the R/T 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Changing spark plugs in the R/T 3.0L

when we first changed the plugs in my car, we put bosch super plat or whatever, and they were junk...they werent in there but maybe a month, and the ngk's went in..the car ran poorly with the bosch plugs..

Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
B_52
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plugs can be a touchy subject, but I found the motor/ignition system will often dictate what works best.

I also don’t believe in the “Performance” title, as I feel it is pure marketing.

My past Mitsu engines ran well on NGK and ND, with ND U-Grooves being my preference back then. When I went to an MSD6A system, I had to go Bosch Platinums cause they held up with the increased coil and spark.
I tried ND in both my GMCs and hated them. The 454 still likes Autolites, and the Chevy 2.6 did well on Autolite or Champions.

I found it humorous that Japanize motors liked Japanize plugs, and American motors hated them!

Most people will not care that much about plugs, but if you want to tune your car for optimal power, you need to learn how to read them. You can sometimes find you need a different heat range on one or two cylinders! Also learn to index them.

2cents

Old 03-22-2006, 01:10 AM
joe0121
Professional

ORIGINAL: B_52

Plugs can be a touchy subject, but I found the motor/ignition system will often dictate what works best.

I also don’t believe in the “Performance” title, as I feel it is pure marketing.

My past Mitsu engines ran well on NGK and ND, with ND U-Grooves being my preference back then. When I went to an MSD6A system, I had to go Bosch Platinums cause they held up with the increased coil and spark.
I tried ND in both my GMCs and hated them. The 454 still likes Autolites, and the Chevy 2.6 did well on Autolite or Champions.

I found it humorous that Japanize motors liked Japanize plugs, and American motors hated them!

Most people will not care that much about plugs, but if you want to tune your car for optimal power, you need to learn how to read them. You can sometimes find you need a different heat range on one or two cylinders! Also learn to index them.

2cents
So get jap plugs for my jap engine

but if it's a dodge does the mean I get a loophole and my Engine will like American plugs to... J/K

Why couldnt dodge put a dodge engine in their car?

Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: joe0121

Why couldnt dodge put a dodge engine in their car?
Because it was never a Dodge car to begin with....and it would waste more money to develop a lineup for Dodge. This car is basically a Mitsu Eclipse....hence B_52's signature of an 02 Mitsu Stratus R/T.

Hell, my car has Mitsu stickers in the door lining....

Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 AM
B_52
Professional

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject
This car is basically a Mitsu Eclipse....hence B_52's signature of an 02 Mitsu Stratus R/T.

Hell, my car has Mitsu stickers in the door lining....
Actually with a little research, you might find this is really a Mitsubishi Galant, converted from 4 doors to 2, and an Eclipse interior!

Go figure!

Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Galant/Eclipse all run on the same powerplant and tranny I do believe....at least for the 3.0. Everything in the car for the most part is Mitsu....and I thought the only thing Galant was the chassis?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:49 AM
B_52
Professional

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

and I thought the only thing Galant was the chassis?
The Galant was sold with the 3.0 as well(both auto, and auto-stick). Everything I have been able to find researching the car points to the Galant through and through. About the only exception I have found yet is the lack of a 5 speed on the Galant, and no 17 inch rims.

(Keep in mind that this is by just looking at generalities like suspension measurments and stuff, so there is room for compairisons to both Mitsu lines, I tend favor the closer matching of the two.)

2cents
V

Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i thought that the galant had the 6g74?

Old 03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
kang25
Professional

I can tell you that the greddy sp2 cat back exhaust system for the eclipse does not fit the 02' r/t, it is too short and the mounts are incorrect. Maybe I should have tried the exhaust for the gallant instead.

Just to clarify, when I change plugs and go to 8.5 mm wires, use the ngk platinum plugs correct.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i still have the original wires, and im running NGK part number PFR6G-11..."premium laser platinum"

Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs in the R/T 3.0L