Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 Stratus -- Horrible Mileage ~12mpg city

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Spider210
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Stratus -- Horrible Mileage ~12mpg city

I am new here so here it goes ^_^

I have a 98 Stratus 2.4L 4cyl, and I am getting horrible mpg. Since I have bought the car in August I have gotten about 150 miles per my tank (fillup) which is usually about 12 - 12.5 gallons of gas. I don't horse my car hardly at all. I have ran those fuel additives threw it probably 6-7 times through it ( the ones that clean fuel injectors and such and also the ones that absorb water)

- has only 75k miles
- I use full synthetic oil from valvoline
- New Air filter

According to some mechanics around here my car 'purs' it doesn't skip, ping or anything and it sounds like its new... I don't know what I can do to help me get around the 20mpg I should be getting with this car.

I have thought about getting the bosch 4418 platinum +4 spark plus but, I was told my bosch single firing point spark plugs were fine and that I wouldn't probably notice a difference. I also bought a IAT sensor power mod thingy that suppose to increase hp and mpg but, I haven't installed it, has anyone tried this and know if they actually work??

Hopefully someone can help as I go through about 12 gallons of gas in like 5-7 days which sucks horribly!!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:46 PM
nh_wayne
Default RE: 98 Stratus -- Horrible Mileage ~12mpg city

That is really low mileage. I get about 20 to 22. When was the last time you did a tune up? That's just plugs and wires. Those plugs won't do much for you. You will see a little improvement in the beginning, but they will give you the same mileage overall. Don't waste your money. Just use the plugs the manufactorer recommends. I like the regular Bosch Platnium Plugs.

You may have to have you car put on a computer to make sure everything is working right. It should cost under $100 to have that done. But when repaired you will save that on gas.

Good luck.. keep us posted!

Old 04-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Spider210

According to the records the plugs were changed less than 20k miles ago, I'm not sure about the wires tho. Its been raining here soo I haven't been able to get a look.

Also where would be the best place to get this 'tune up' and what do they do during that??

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
B_52
Professional

The mileage you quote is really bad.
Don’t waist your money on those plug. Like the others here mention, stick with standard types I favor ND, but that is more from other motors, not my Strat. You plug wires could be an issue as well. Carbon core plug wires should typically be replaced every two years, wire core go much longer. (Don’t know what your car came with, or has.) When you pull our old plugs, they will tell you a lot. search the net for help reading them.

You can buy a handheld engine diagnostics tester at Schmucks/Crakin/_eckers starting at $69. I got a nice one for $99, and it is good to have around for all my friends too. Error codes may steer you to the problem, like a faulty knock sensor (which will retard your timing), or MAS, (which will make you run rich).

Look at your tires also. Make sure they are the correct size, and inflated to the proper settings.

Vince

Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Spider210

Tires are all in good inflation, 38.5lbs each and I do believe they are 14inch. Could you give me an estimated price on what I should pay for plug wires and what to stick away from??

I have also forgotten to mention that in comparison to our 2000 Cirrus (same exact car basically except its a 'chrysler" its got same engine and everything) it has slow pick up and throttle acceleration by far compared to the cirrus, I'm not sure what could cause that.

Anymore suggestions is very much appreciated!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:19 AM
B_52
Professional

Current model plug wires are not my strong point, sorry. For my big block, I prefer Accel or Mallory, and they run about 60 for a set.
I’ve used MSD wires on my '88 turbo Conquest with good results, but don’t think they actually make them, so who knows what brand was under the red cover.
For quality goods, I'd go look at summit racing (www.summitraceing.com) and see if they have anything for our cars. If nothing else, you get to see the brands they carry, and know you are looking at some of the best out there for comparison elsewhere.

I'd still get a code tester on you car first, whether you buy it or pay a shop, you may find the culprit has been anouncing itself all along (well, one can at least hope!).

BOL
Vince

Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Spider210

Well guys don't worry about this anymore... I totaled my car yesterday... almost deadly head on collision...60mph too

my car

the other car...

What a horrible day

Old 05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
kang25
Professional

click for a moment of silence

Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
B_52
Professional

ORIGINAL: Spider210

Well guys don't worry about this anymore... I totaled my car yesterday... almost deadly head on collision...60mph too

What a horrible day
Yer alive.... Consider it a wonderful day, and treasure it.

Sorry bout the loss though.

Vince

Quick Reply: 98 Stratus -- Horrible Mileage ~12mpg city