Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Lukashi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Turbo?

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T and I am looking to turbo it. First off, are there any turbo kits available? Also, to run a turbo, do I need to upgrade internals? I do not have enough money to do an engine swap so I'm looking just to buy a turbo kit for no more than $3000. Thanks for the help

Old 06-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Lukashi
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Turbo?

I was also searching around and I heard of some turbo kits from other cars that would fit. Are there any that would bolt on with little or no mods to the internals?

EDIT: I went to RIPP's website and they have a "Tuner's Package" for $2999.99. I'm confused though, in the picture, it looks like a turbo but in the description, it calls it a supercharger. Which is it? How much boost can run on stock internals and how much HP would that make? Thanks

Old 06-18-2006, 01:25 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok..a few things.
1. there are several different types of superchargers, and thats a vortech supercharger...a turbocharger looks somewhat similar, but superchargers are belt driven, while turbochargers are driven by the pressure of the exhaust gases.

here is a picture of a turbocharger:

2. for 3 grand, youre going to be hard pressed to find the needed items to make the car "Fast". I have met several guys with Ripp RT coupes, and the one guy had some 10 grand of work, and was only running in the mid 13s. Also, that tuners package includes only what is shown there...no piggyback...no ecu...no Ripp "black box" (which is a piggyback). That is a bare bones kit..the least amount of parts needed to supercharge your car. The black box will set you back another 325 bucks...plus, their estimated hp numbers include things like their exhaust system, and headers. their headers are 600 bucks, and i have read several stories about the welds cracking and such. and if you want to bulk up in internals, such as the pistons, it will cost you another 800 bucks.

is the ripp setup reliable? i would say yes from speaking to owners of the products, however, when i looked into purchasing some items, i left 3 or 4 voice mails requesting information about purchasing items, as well as 6 or so emails...i never heard back from them, and i dont know if i want to dump thousands of dollars on a company who cant be bothered returning calls or emails.

one company that i know of who offers a forced induction setup for a 6g72 (the engine in the RT coupes) is tearstone performance...they have a turbo kit. i mean this in the best way that i can, so please dont take offense to it, but if you cant tell the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger, i would STRONGLY suggest doing alot more research before building up your car. there are so many little "bugs" to work out of the system when you add forced induction to a car which is not made to have forced induction, and unless you have mechanical experience, it may not be your best way to go, as the install will be costly if youre not doing it yourself.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 AM
lolneon

i know a quite a few ppl supercharging their stratus r/t's instead of going turbo. a popular one is the ripp mods supercharger that can add 100 more horses, here is a link: https://www.rippstore.com/ProductDet...ode=0005SDSV61

here is the dyno vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-faWYQmgZE

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
nate_0022
Captain

Ripps is ****, many people didn't find it very dependable, I suppose they didn't either build their motor right, and/or didn't get their car tuned. I've seen people run as much as 9psi on stocks given any tuning. As said above the tuners kit is just like any starters kit, your going to have to buy headers (Ripps headers are nitorious for rusting, cracking at the welds, Megan Racing has some headers they just came out for the Strat/Eclipse for $268.00 shipped for now visithttp://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...dCategory=1397for the headers), exhaust (many recommend 2.5"), building motor for reliability, and pushing more boost, Piggyback systems, fuel injectors. A lot more than what is pictured on the Ripps site.

EDIT: remember, anything that turbos, supercharges the 00-01 Eclipse GT, GTS, will work for the strat.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
RooK
Rookie

If you go with RIPP you must buy headers as well. However, their customer support is hit and miss and their electronic parts of their kit is poorly concieved.

If you want a turbo, contact Tearstone or Greg on the 2gstratus forum. Greg usually has some used turbo kits lying around. Anyway, don't run over 9psi on stock internals, I'd stick closer to 5-6psi. The 6G72 pistons are really weak and you will eventually pop one, just the nature of the beast. Anyone serious about boost installs forged pistons, but that's a lot of money.

Many guys have hit close to 200whp with basic N/A builds (no cam, etc.), so there is another option if you want to avoid boost.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
nate_0022
Captain

Greg has a few SDS systems laying around I believe, and everything that you really need to have a starter kit.I thought Tearstone discontinued their turbo set-up?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
abecker7596

hey, well
i need all my intercooler piping. where can i find that at?? i have my whole kit assembled just need the piping. 'I NEED IT BAD!!
i want boost SOO BADD

Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
RooK
Rookie

If you need piping, a welder and pipe bender are your best friends.

nate: No idea on Tearstone. They did have supplier issues, but if you ponied up the money, I bet they'd get you a kit somehow.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:40 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried dealing with ripp when i was trying to buy mounts, and it was ridiculous...i couldnt get ahold of anyone, via email or phone...i got better products from deyeme and they have great customer support.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Turbo?