Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

racing with automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
kang25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing with automatic?

I think I've got the launch about right, 3k give or take. But then should you just put it in drive and hold the gas down, or keep it in 2nd to redline, 3rd to redline, then drive. Or should you ever let off the gas or "double punch" the trottle, I think they call it a vaccume spike in the toyota forums. I have a strait auto, no sportronic. I've heard people say to launch in drive, keep it there and don't let off the gas, but this doesn't feel as fast.

As for street passing, it is better to drop to 3rd or 2nd and step on it right?

This is of course until I get a stall converter at which point, I believe you are supposed to just hold the gas down in drive and let the converter do the work.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: racing with automatic?

how are you getting it to launch at 3k?? you arent neutral slamming are you??

when i launch mine, i stage, and bring the engine "up against the convertor", which is the point at which the suspension has stiffened up because you are right at the point where the engine and trans want to push the car...if you go higher, it will push you through the lights...i believe that its right around 2000-2200 rpm.

this "double punch" is nonsense, or at least ive never heard of it, and i cannot see how that would do ANYTHING....bring the rpms to the stall rpm (one foot on the gas, one on the brake), and when the light turns green, let off the brake and floor the gas. i have run mine in both "D", and using the autostick, and the autostick seemed to shift slightly harder, but at the shift points dont change any. i think that your best bet is to put it in drive, and keep it to the floor...you should cross the quarter mile in 3rd gear.
however, im not even sure what your shift pattern is...

is is 1-2-D? or L-3-D?

and on the street, if youre crusing along and put it to the floor, it has what is called a "Step down gear"...which means that the trans will automatically shift to the "optimum gear"...usually second.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
kang25
Professional

Thank you very much. at about 2500 I believe, the car starts inching forward and with a quick tap all the way down I believe the rpms are right around 3k. This could just be i'm around 2200 like you said and when I step on it and look down from the light 3000 area is what I'm catching with my eye. Once I get the apexi up and running it should have a data map and will give me an accurate launch rpm in increments of 50rpms as the car accelerates.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

well, what you can do, is find an empty parking lot...

put it in gear, and hold the brake down hard, and just ease into the throttle..just keep watching the tach, not the road (hence the parkig lot part..lol). keep easing into the throttle until the car starts to push through the brakes...the brakes will make some noise as the car will inch forward even though the brakes are applied. once it starts moving, then ease back until it is still trying to push the ca,r but the car isnt actually moving...that is your peak launch rpm...once you get a high stall convertor, it will be rated at a certain rpm...like the mirada is rated at 4000 rpm...so i can pull to the line, and bring it up to 4000...around 3800 it will tighten up against the convertor, but it will hold to 4000...however, 4000 would be ridiculous for an auto rt...i think that 2800 or so would be about perfect for a DD and still give it a kick in the ***...

Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

The double punch on the gas worked great on my 97 stratus. You let off just a little bit right when it shifts then smash the gas really quick, but if you don't do it right it will kill your speed. The car shifted much quicker and it keeped the car in the power band, I noticed about a 1500 rpm diffrence in doing it compared to just letting it shift.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

id like someone to do that, and make a normal run...i can almost assure that the "double pump" with the auto is slower...although it may shift a bit harder, youre losing power for a bit, and when youre only making 200-300hp, you dont need to be losing any power during a drag run.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

It is shifting about twice as fast and instead of the RPM's droping to 3000 rpm there only droping to 4000 to 4500 rpm. Plus when you do let off (and it's a very very little let off) its in the middle of the shift. I would like to see times for it too, but by *** dyno, you can feel a big inprovment in the shift, much more crisp and less hesitation after the shift. This also my be a Chysler tranny thing, because my Concorde is the exact same way, other cars I've driven don't like it.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

mine shifts fairly hard in autostick model, especially when wide open...the shifts seem lazier in full auto mode...

Old 06-21-2006, 12:15 AM
kang25
Professional

After all my junk is installed I'll try both at the track and post the times. I do have to give you credit, you almost got the beer out of my nose with the "*** dyno" comment, very nice. Badstrat and anyone else in the area, I'll be going to miland if you know where that is, I'll let you know the date. It would be way sweet to see head to head, what the additional crap I have just bought really adds vs. another r/t. Plus then I won't be the only a****** with a stratus at the track, lol.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

why milan? lapeer is MUCH closer.

its only like 35 miles from utica

Quick Reply: racing with automatic?