Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

The ever apparent over heating issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:24 PM
chaosvein
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ever apparent over heating issue...

I have read on the forums for a while and it appears quite a few people have had coolant issues with the 2000 stratus. I just had the water pump replaced on mine a week or so go, now when I drive it... after about 20 minutes it will start over heating. Up to that point the coolant is flowing fine and the car is running at a normal temp. Then all of a sudden it starts getting hot. This is also accompanied by a loud whining sound, the sound is all the time and is new as of when the over heating started... any ideas?

Here is a video of the sound, and the coolant bubbling to show circulation..

Car Noise Video

Old 07-15-2006, 08:26 PM
chaosvein
Default RE: The ever apparent over heating issue...

It started over heating on the way home, about 5 miles from my house... heater on and moving fast it stayed mid range so I was able to get it home... I did notice when I parked it in the garage that coolant was streaming out on to the drive way. It did not appear to be leaking before that though.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:28 PM
tomthedog
Captain

wasn't able to download, old computer. one thing you didn't say was the mileage, eng, or trans type (it helps). the noise could be the waterpump. on most fwd cars this is also a good time to change out the timming belt as it just a 1/2 hr job if you have the motor tore down that far. if you're tight on money try changing the themostat first as this will be the cheapest. keep in mind that most 'stats nowdays fail "open" to keep from frying the motor. i'm sure that you checked the coolant level already but i brought it up 'cause i've done some dumb suff before myself. next cheapest thing to do is change the rad cap. if it is bad it will let coolant overflow into the expansion tank and you will loose coolant resulting in overheating. let us know the deal, good luck.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM
17lowpros

Mine did that for a while cause of the vacum hose that's connected to my AEM COld air. I had a breather on both parts but oil was leaking through my breather. So i went to Lowes, got 2-1 inch rubber hose, and a air compressure filter catcher and stuck that in the middle of the 2 hoses and connected it to my Cold air, and when i drag my car about 3 times a day, the filter catcher will be full of oil, and i jus stick it in, but my temp gauge has been reading average if not better. Look too see if you get oil drips here and there.

Quick Reply: The ever apparent over heating issue...