Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 Stratus - timing belt or chain ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:48 PM
DodoT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Stratus - timing belt or chain ?

I found a car I am interested in. It is a 99 Stratus, with the engine 2.4L L4 SFI DOHC 16V. The mileage is quite high (143.000 miles), but it looks very well and it runs the same.

When I asked the owner if he changed the timing belt, he told me that it has a timing chain, and because of that he didn't change it (he is the original owner). Otherwise, the car was very well maintained, as I can see.

My question is: does anyone know if this type of engine has a chain or a belt? I searched online for parts for this type of engine and I was able to find both timing belts and timing chains as replacements.

If it has a timing belt, is it an interference engine?

Please help me out, since the time is running and I have to make the decision to buy it or to pass it. Even if the car has quite a few miles on it, the price is very good (below KBB) and I am really interested.

Thanks a lot!

Dodo

Old 07-18-2006, 02:07 AM
Mikeamus
Default RE: 99 Stratus - timing belt or chain ?

I have the same car and engine. According to the Hayes manual (that I have been living in lately) it only uses timing belts, with the only option being either a mechanical or hydraulic tensioner. It is interference heads. The doge dealer quoted me around $900 to do the belt and water pump. The belt alone was around $700 for them to do it. My suggestion is if you do buy the car -- change the belt as soon as you can. According to the recommend service interval from Dodge it won’t last much longer. Not a hard job, but you will need jack the car up, remove the passenger side tire, so you can remove the right side motor mount to access the belt.

Here is a free tip that is not listed in the manual -- if you have A/C you will need to remove the radiator overflow tank (held on by 2 easy to get to bolts) so you can remove the motor mount from the car.

Good luck

Mike

Old 07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
DodoT
Default RE: 99 Stratus - timing belt or chain ?

Here is a free tip that is not listed in the manual -- if you have A/C you will need to remove the radiator overflow tank (held on by 2 easy to get to bolts) so you can remove the motor mount from the car.
Thanks a lot!

I went yesterday to an auto service and they quoted me $600 for belt & pump. I don't know if I really want to buy this car anymore... I took it to a full check-up and it seems that there are too many parts due to replace...

Dodo

Quick Reply: 99 Stratus - timing belt or chain ?