Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Noise from tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
superbee69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from tranny?

I have a '95 Status w/ 2.4 liter, it has about 138K on it.
Recently I've been getting noise out of the front of the car. I can't tell if ity's the tranny or the CV joints.
There is an wirring noise that increases & decreases with the mph at a constant rate. It sounds almost like having snow tires on.
The tires are new, tranny fluid seems fine, everything seems to operating normal w/ no slipping of the tranny and no binding in the steering (cv joints). It becomes more noticable when coasting or slowing to stop, I even popped it into neutral as I was coasting to a stop an the noise stays constant. Any Ideas?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:02 AM
deuce
Default RE: Noise from tranny?

I have a 2001 stratus (2.7 ltr / 101K) and today just noticed something similar to the same noise coming from the front, it does sound very similar to snow tires. At first I thought it was brake pads rubbing or something like that, but it seems to be coming from somewhere more towards the center. Steering is free and clear, no binding; tranny seems to be fine. The noise increases and decreases with speed, not engine rpm. I may have my mechanic look at it this week to see what he thinks. Would be interested in any ideas...

Old 12-07-2006, 01:14 AM
deuce
Default RE: Noise from tranny?

Went to the mechanic today and after he rode with me a block down the street he said it was the left wheel bearings...went back to the shop and sure enough that was the problem. One hour later no more noise. Good luck and hope this helps. The hub assemble was $150 and labor was $60.

Quick Reply: Noise from tranny?