Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

WARNING!! Stratus upper rear spring mounts deteriorating!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:27 PM
deha3u8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING!! Stratus upper rear spring mounts deteriorating!

Heads Up!!

My 01 Stratus developed a rattle in the LR corner. I put the car on the hoist, and noticed that the TOP of the shock was visible thru the spring coils. The entire upper mount, which appears to be either aluminum or magnesium, was deteriorated so badly that it had broken into 5 pieces!! We are lucky that the spring didn't shift out of its location and get into the tire at hiway speeds....this car is only 2.5 years old. The guys at the local dealership said that they've never seen this before. FYI, this car is real clean and is garaged nightly. It looks as if road salt has set up some sort of electralysis, or something. I replaced the mount and the rubber pieces, and will do the right side soon, as it shows all kinds of powder developing around the top of the shock mount, under that cute little rubber cap. Pull the liner back in the trunk, and pull that cap off, see if you see a powdery substance sitting around it. I looked at some 04, low-mile Stratus and Sebrings on the lot, and their upper mounts are already showing early signs of pitting...Chrysler, are you listening?

Hays

Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
lancer402
Default same thing

Exact same problem on my friends right rear shock mount

what piece do you need to purchase? have you replaced it?

thanks
andy

Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a top shock mount came with all the pieces , mount /rubber/center bushings/washers ect ect ...seems ashame that the old stamped metal lasted forever , the cast don't hold up well

Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
dbole
Default rear mounts

I recently had toreplace the RR mount on my wifes 01 stratus. I had to look all over the country for one mount, since the dealers said there was a backorder nationwide on these parts. I am going to replace the LR one this spring. Dodge engineers I am sure made this part so it would wear out, and need to be replaced. The local dealership wanted to charge me $300 to replace the part, and I did it in about 1 hour.

Quick Reply: WARNING!! Stratus upper rear spring mounts deteriorating!