Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:10 PM
skeeballhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering

Have a 1999 Dodge Stratus with a 2.5 V6. The problem is that when barely moving or stopped, if you try to turn the steering wheel it feels as though it is catching or kinked up. Doesn't always happen, and doesn't happen at speed. Any ideas would be great. Car has never been hit or anything and has 100,000 miles on it. Thanks for any assistance. Lance

Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
B_52
Professional
Default RE: power steering

Have you checked the power steering fluid levels yet?

Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 PM
skeeballhead

Yes, the power steering fluid level was fine. I should have mentioned that in my question in the beginning, my bad.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 AM
B_52
Professional

Could have air in the system. Power steering is suppose to be a closed system, and self bleeding, but in some cases you might need to do it. First try to let the system do it on its own. Jack up the front of the car so the wheels are off the ground. At a constant rate, turn the wheel from end-stop to end-stop about 5 or 6 times. If a bubble is in the line, this will hopefully push it back to the reservoir and fix the problem.
Also make sure your belt is in good condition.
If the problem persists, I would recommend you have the system flushed by a shop. They will get clean fluids in, and flush any bubbles out before returning the car to you.

2 cents

Quick Reply: power steering