Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2003 Dodge Stratus RT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
punk182
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Stratus RT

Hello,

New here, but have a question. When I start my Stratus in the morning, when it's cold, there is a very loud clicking. I thought it was the water pump, so I took her in, and it wasn't. Not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 AM
B_52
Professional
Default RE: 2003 Dodge Stratus RT

If it is the coupe, and it goes away after getting warmed up, the it is most likely the liffters. Common issue.

peace

Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
punk182

I'm not familiar with that term. Not into cars a whole lot. Is this something I can fix? Expensive? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks so far

Old 03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
B_52
Professional

Sorry, mis-spelt "Lifters" Also called "Lash adjusters".
I have not replaced them on a Strat, so my discription should be considered light referance only. Best get exact details from the manual.
The lifters themselves reside in the rocker arm, and require you remove the valve cover(s), then unbolt the valvetrain from the cylinder head. Mitsu has small spring steel clips you can hook over the lifters/rocker arm to keep them(lifters) in place while pulling the assembly off the car.
If you want to try cleaning them, then I recommend you have time, because you need to keep each lifter in the position you reomved it from (ie you shouldnt just dump them all out of the assembly and toss them in a bucket of solvent).
I got to where I could do the whole job on my Mitsu 2.6L (inline 4) in about an hour, with little difficulty, but to give you a hint, I got good at it cause I first tried to clean them, (helped a little , then ticking returned), replaced a few that I thought were the problem (helped a little more), to eventually saying "screw it" and replaced them all.
Back then, I think the retainers were something like $20 for a set of 8 (part number MD998443 from my Strat manual). Lifters themselves are about $20 each as well.
Under normal circumstances I'd say it is a very doable job, but I understand the 3.0L requires removing the intake manifold to access the rear valve cover, so obviously extra work is involved. If you have the 3.0 and do this, be sure to change out your plugs and plug wires, because to do that you need to remove the manifold anyhow... might as well.

2 cents

Old 03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
RooK
Rookie

It's not something that requires replacement so long as it stops after a short warmup. You can limit the clicking my chaning to a 5w30 full synthetic oil. It's help me as well as many others. In 50*+ weather, I don't experience the ticking at all, and now running Mobil1, I don't even experience it down to 27*.

Short reason why this happens: The lifters adjust themselves based on oil hydraulics. When the car sits for extended periods, the oil drains and they're running dry. They click before the oil reaches them once again on startup and it will slowly get worse as they wear.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
punk182

You guys are awesome. Went out and bought some 5w oil today and will replace this weekend.

Thanks a lot again.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i also dont notice the problem much since going to the synthetic oil...but i also had the issue...

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Stratus RT