Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1999 Stratus ES - newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
auj1fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Stratus ES - newbie question

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Found it today after my car was dianosed with a tranny leak. Unfortunately the shop I took it to doesn't do tranny work.

So is there a common problem with trannies on the Stratus? I'm the original owner and only have 75,000 on it.

I know tranny fluid is supposed to be red but it didn't seem red to me. It is a clean fluid as I had wiped up the leak off of plastic with a paper towel and it soaked in all clear and clean.

Anyone have any info...thanks!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM
skierbri10
Default RE: 1999 Stratus ES - newbie question

ORIGINAL: auj1fan

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Found it today after my car was dianosed with a tranny leak. Unfortunately the shop I took it to doesn't do tranny work.

So is there a common problem with trannies on the Stratus? I'm the original owner and only have 75,000 on it.

I know tranny fluid is supposed to be red but it didn't seem red to me. It is a clean fluid as I had wiped up the leak off of plastic with a paper towel and it soaked in all clear and clean.

Anyone have any info...thanks!
There aren't many problems with the tranny on these, my maintenance manual says that you should replace the tranny fluid at 60,000 in your case that probably wasn't done. You should do it ASAP. Tranny fluid should be red, btw, not clear......

Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Dougifresh

I just had my tranny replaced after 151,000 miles. If I was you, I would get your tranny fluid changed, if it continues to leak, take it to a tranny shop.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
sfx_1234

MAKE SURE that you use ATF +4 in the transmission. You can get it from the dealer for 6 dollars a quart or you can get it at your local parts store for a couple bucks a quart. Valvoline is the only one that has ATF +4 that is approved and stamped and given the a ok from Chrysler. The fluid itself is a full synthetic fluid with some special friction modifiers. It will essentially keep you from burning up the clutch packs in the tranny. That is the weakest point on these cars the transmission. Hope this helps and saves you 2k for a rebuild on the tranny from doing something as simple as using the WRONG fluid.

Quick Reply: 1999 Stratus ES - newbie question