Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Intermittent brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 AM
frystak11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent brakes question

I've got an '03 R/T... only 34K miles. The brakes seem to have a slight problem. When I'm braking, I apply constant pressure, but the braking seems to be 'wobbly', or intermittent -- basically it feels like I'm shaking fore-aft a little bit. I read on some other forum about some dodge's, have cheap factory rotors that could be causing this and just need to be turned down?? Any suggestions? Only 34k do I need to worry about brakes? Is this something that could be covered under ext. warranty?

thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 AM
B_52
Professional
Default RE: Intermittent brakes question

Rotors are a wear item and typically not covered under a warantee.
If your R/T is the (Mitsubishi) coupe, then warped rotors are certainly possible (can't speak for the (Chrysler) sedan). The stock Mitsu. units are a known weakness. My first recommendation is to replace them with better aftermarket quality.
If dollars are tight, have them turned for about $25-$35 to get you by until you can replace them. Yes, if you turn them, they will warp again, and in less time, so start setting pennies aside now...
Whichever your decision, it is best on the rest of your suspension and steering joints to eliminate the shaking as soon as possible, just to prevent premature wear in other items.

2 cents
Vince

Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
shnormo
Veteran

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bra...Dodge/Stratus/ Upgrade these are awesome drilled and slotted rotors

http://www.cardomain.com/id/shnormo05 I use them myself on my S10

Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Fivspeed

The rotors are absolutely the most likely culprit for the symptoms that you describe.The El-cheapos at your local discount parts storework perfectly finefor average driving and are around $25 a piece if you want to go that route.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:04 PM
B_52
Professional

I have argued against the R1'S before, and don't want to go there unless I really must. Just keep in mind that they are CHEAP.
Cheap is not quality, and "Awesome" is not a rating this produce deserves when compared to more widely respected brands like Powerslot, Powerstop, or Brembo.
I would choose solid core replacements for everyday driving, or step up and put quality slotted (not drilled) rotors on for higher performance.

2 cents
Vince

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 PM
BloodRed
Professional

Like the others have said, sounds like your rotors are warped. Get new ones or get them turned. You might as well replace your brake pads at that time as well. I know on my Status, the brake padsseemed to last till about 37-38K, so you are getting close.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 AM
frystak11

Thanks to all....

Yes I've got the '03 R/T coupe (basically a Mitsu)... Don't know if I'll start going down the performance route yet, but I'll definitely look into some new rotors. It's getting warm out... good spring saturday project.

Quick Reply: Intermittent brakes question