Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A few 2000 Stratus 2.0L questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM
sfx_1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few 2000 Stratus 2.0L questions...

As you can see I'm new to the forums. I've got a few questions for some of you out there that have had more time to play around with these cars than I have.

First question:

Just recently within the past week or so I had to replace the radiator on my girlfriends car. It wasn't too big of a deal although the way they designed everything else to connect to the radiator was somewhat of a pain in the neck it wasn't too bad at all. (car has 120k on it now) So everything is done car runs great BUT I think the idiot light for the gas guage went out. It dosn't seem to come on anymore. Gas guage still works fine and shows proper gas level etc. I'm not sure if the light is burned out (I doubt it) or what exactly is going on with it. According to the owners manual it states that the gas tank is 16 gal. aprox. and that the idiot light will turn on when the tank has aprox 2 gallons remaining. Last night the needle was touching the bottom portion of the FIRST red line on the gas guage. It was NOT out of gas. At the gas station I took note of how many gallons went in. It took 13.5 gal. of gas. Now the MOST I ever remeber being able to put into the tank was 14.5 gallons. So is this tank really 16 gallons and the level just wasnt LOW enough yet for the LIGHT to come on or is there another problem? I'm fairly certain that the light USE to come on when it was around 13.5 gal low previously. Any idea's or suggestions? I'm thinking when the tank gets LOW again I'll either fill up a 5 gallon gas can with gas and run it dry to see if it comes on or jack it up in the driveway and see if I can get it to come on that way. (side note) the fuel pump has been replaced with an OEM pump about 6 months ago and was working great INCLUDING the idiot light for the gas guage. Anyhow any suggestions would be appreciated.

Second Question:

The horn has NEVER worked on the car since my girlfriend has owned it. I've taken the steering wheel apart removing the air bag clean the contacts for the horn etc and still dosnt work. Horn relay is good I've pulled it apart and the contacts look good. I've also gone to the fuse panel popped out the horn relay and jumped it with a paper clip and the horn works! So I guess I've got a problem between the horn button/contacts and the fuse block. Any suggestions here?

Third Question:

The car has 120k on it now and isn't driven hard etc. I did a compression test on it and it appears to be factory fresh with good equal compression across all 4 cylindars. At 100k I did the timing belt as recomended, flushed the tranny (and yes I used the elusive ATF +4 that can now be purchased at local parts store instead of 6 dollars a quart at the dealer) new filter etc as well. I've also replaced the solenoid pack on the tranny (that went out a while back), did input/output speed sensors, replaced the fuel pump, ignition switch, starter, raiator+hoses, spark plugs and I think thats all I've had to do to it. The car seems to run pretty well and gets about 20-24mpg with intown driving depending on AC and drivong conditions. Tranny fluid was nice and clean when I flushed it at 100k no clutch material that I saw looked really good. I guess what I'm getting at is what kind of life should I realisticly expect out of the car? Is it something that I should hold on to for a while or should I sell it? To my knowledge/research the real weak point on these cars was the transmissions. What would you guys suggest? What kind of mileage have people reported before they start to have MAJOR problems such as rebuilds etc?

Thanks for all of the help! I apologize for the wall of text here I just had a lot of questions! Thanks again!!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
sfx_1234
Default RE: A few 2000 Stratus 2.0L questions...

Ok well since I havn't had a response yet I've got something I'd like to have someone test if they would be so kind. Can someone with a 96-00 Stratus (think they are all the same those model years) go out to their car and turn the key to the on position and tell me what lights come on. I'm curious about the GAS LIGHT (the low gas indicator light which is just right of the BLUE high beam headlight indicator) coming on or not. Could you also start the car and see if it comes on at that point at all. Thanks a lot!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
sfx_1234

Someone out there has to have a crystal ball to answer my questions! C'mon guys I know someone out there has something to say!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Woobang

Hey there bud... I can try to give or get you some answers. Let me/us know the year make and model and I or someone else here will let you know

Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM
sfx_1234

ORIGINAL: Woobang

Hey there bud... I can try to give or get you some answers. Let me/us know the year make and model and I or someone else here will let you know

It's a 2000 Dodge Strats 2.0L. I'm pretty sure I put it in the title. Maybe not. Anyhow I appreciate the reply. Forums seem a little slow/dead.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Woobang

Heehee ...I guess you did in the topic title I'll let you know what I find...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 AM
sfx_1234

ORIGINAL: Woobang

Heehee ...I guess you did in the topic title I'll let you know what I find...

Did you find anything interesting yet? =)

Quick Reply: A few 2000 Stratus 2.0L questions...