Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

What's up with Viper prices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's up with Viper prices?

Just eyeballing what prices the older Vipers are going for, I was stunned to see that it's all in the same $5k range whether it's 3 years old or 13 years old! Prices hit the mid 30k mark and just magically stay there for the life of the car. My thinking was that by going back to the earliest production years, I should be able to find a nice example of any formerly-pricey vehicle for under $30k -- it's a 15 year old car! Well, not for these.

The worst part about it is I know I'd be bored with "just" 400hp. I'd want at least the 450hp flavor and even that would be just a starting point. I was just looking really; I have no experience with a Viper. I just figured I drive my car only on the weekends anyway so it wouldn't bother me if it was more exotic in nature. I've owned two 12-second Stealths and I've built a 500+ whp, 123 mph trap Supra so I'm no stranger to speed. Even my Subaru family sedan (not a WRX) could tick off a 12.90 timeslip if I ever got it to the track.

I was so impressed with my truck that I thought I'd see what the Viper market looked like these days. I didn't mind dropping $30k on a new car but I'd have a lot harder time justifying it on one that was built when I was just out of high school! Looks like I may wait another decade for the prices to be more reasonable. I always get this way when my car is almost paid for [8D]

Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What's up with Viper prices?

Do not expect the prices of GEN I or GEN IIsto drop below30in 10 years. That will stay where they are, and if Dodge were to kill it, will go up. This is one reason I actaully bought mine. I can have some fun and not loose money.

FYI, you can get a GEN I for under 30. You need to find a motivated seller, high milageor a salvage title.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM
goldlifter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump what he said.....right now is about as cheap as gen 1 and 2 vipers will ever likely get

Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never considered a car an investment so it looks like I'll never get a Viper. Sure, they're unique vehicles but if a car's still in production and they're all over the AutoTrader, they aren't really rare. Low production for sure, but not rare. The new owners of Dodge would be fools to cancel the car though. C5's got cheap quick (and I can't believe their debut was 10 years ago!) just like every other vehicle in the last 50 years. If it isn't a turbo Buick or a 60s Hemi, the prices for every other vehicle drop like you'd expect. And no, I would never pay $30k+ for a 15 year old Supra like they're trying to get these days.

I may instead waste money on the project I've always wanted to do for some strange reason: a turboed LT1 Roadmaster / Fleetwood that looks stock on the outside. There's nothing like approaching the four-digit horsepower mark in a total sleeper. It'd be a comfy cruiser for sure - I wouldn't expect handling out of it even with an aftermarket setup.

That'll have to come after my Subaru gets its bigger turbo and my truck gets a cam & full exhaust. I do have my priorities ya know [8D]

Quick Reply: What's up with Viper prices?