General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Over filling fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:34 PM
ajf7923
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over filling fuel tank

Pulled my 01 6.0 HO diesel into a gas station in OR the other day (you can't fill your own tank in Oregon) told the attendant to fill 'R up and went into the station. When I got backI noticed he had been topping it off as best he could. I fired the truck up and pulled onto the street, as soon as I tried to excellerate it began tolurch and blow grey smoke. All the way home I had to hold below 60mph and could notgenerate morethan 2000RPM. I pulled the gas cap (thinking vapor lock) ran it to under 3/4 of a tank and still no change. WHATDO I DO?
Once before I had the exact same thing happen with a 98 Wrangler. Not believing it could be related to overfilling the tank I took that rig to a mechanic. He called me andasked if I had recently overfilled my tank, when I said yes, he replied "I thought so, quit doing that and come pick up your rig". I did andit ran fine, but I forgot to ask him what he did.

Quick Reply: Over filling fuel tank