General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't start... Valet problem or Starter/Ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
quantumburnz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start... Valet problem or Starter/Ignition?

So I'm in need of a little help... My'03 Dodge Ram 1500has a valet switch on it. If you don't press and hold this button, you can't start it. I think it's something to do with a kill switch or something. Anyway, sometimes I have to turn the key 2 or 3 times to get it to start. Sometimes it starts the first time. However, when it doesn't start, I just hear a single click when I turn the key. Unfortunately, when I tried to start my truck today, it won't start, even after multiple tries. I'm going to go look at this valet switch and see if I can find anything but anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be? Thanks!

Chris

Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: Won't start... Valet problem or Starter/Ignition?

first off.. i believe if you have to use the valet switch.. that means you have the valet key.. go to dealer and have them cut a real key by vin.. second.. the click.. sounds like a starter

Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
quantumburnz

Wow, so I'm trying to get the starter out and I can't get the top bolt! Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to break it loose? For anyone who's removed the starter in this year and model before, how did you do it? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 PM
quantumburnz

So disregard the last question, I was able to get it off by taking the starter off of the block that holds the starter and solenoid. This gave me access to the top bolt in case anyone else runs into this problem. However, I took the starter to an auto parts store, they tested it and it's good! So...not sure where else the problem may be. Is it possible it could be something with the relay? Anyone know how to test the relay? If not that, it must be something with the valet switch I suppose.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 PM
quantumburnz

I solved the problem. Some how a wire had broken behind the dash, part of the stupid valet switch to the alarm or something.

Admin -- There's not much useful in this thread, can you delete it please? Thanks...

Quick Reply: Won't start... Valet problem or Starter/Ignition?