General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

78 POWERWAGON NO START

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
78 PW Nut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 POWERWAGON NO START

My truck, you can turn the key and it want start, but you can jump the relay, and it starts, I've replaced the relay, ignition switch, I'm lost, any ideas?[&o]

Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
78 PW Nut
Default RE: 78 POWERWAGON NO START

I have replaced everything the relay, the switch still no fire from the relay to the solenoid.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 AM
royce
Default RE: 78 POWERWAGON NO START

Hi 78 pw nut: It almost sounds like your neutral safety switch is not working. You do have an automatic? You can test it before removing. The neutral start/backup switch is threaded into the lower front edge of the transmission case. The neutral start and backup light switch functions are combined into one unit, with the CENTER terminal of the switch grounding the starter solenoid circuit when the transmission is in Park or Neutral, allowing the engine to start. The OUTER terminals make up the backup light switch circuit. Prior to checking the switch, make sure the shift linkage is properly adjusted. With your column shifter in the park position, crawl underneath and loosen a bolt that is attached to the swivel assembly. (1/2 wrench) it's the only bolt that you are going to see when looking straight up at the trans linkage. With that particular rod loose make sure the transmission control lever that is attached to the trans is moved to the park position as well, you will need to try and move it by hand to make sure it has moved into position of being in park. In other words truck should not move when pushed by your own weight. When this is confirmed then tighten bolt. After this try starting with the key. If it still will not turn over then go back to the trans and start testing the neutral safety switch with an ohm meter. You will want to check for continuity between the CENTER terminal and the transmission case. Continuity should exist only when the trans is in park or neutral. Check for continuity between the two OUTER terminals. There should be continuity ONLY when the trans is in REVERSE. There should be no continuity between either of the outer terminals and the transmission case. If you need to replace make sure truck is placed on jack stands raising only the side that has the switch so to prevent oil from exiting the trans case. The last thing you don't need is a big mess from transmission fluid. I hope this gets your truck going. [sm=signs003.gif]

Quick Reply: 78 POWERWAGON NO START