General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Shadow ES Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM
loucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Shadow ES Idle Air Control Valve

Have a question for anyone who can help. I have Shadow ES that stalls when I come to a stop on occasion. My question is, can anyone tell me if they've every cleaned or replace the Idle Air control valve? The reason I ask is because I also have a Mitsubishi Diamante and the same thing was happening. I got on their forum and was given complete instructions on how to clean and replace the IAC valve. I was able to do so, and problem solved for a very minimal cost. Would like to see if I can do the same with the Shadow as I am planning on giving it to my stepson and his fiance since we do not use this car any longer. I know where I can purchase the valve at a decent price if I need to replace it.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: 1993 Shadow ES Idle Air Control Valve

Yes

Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM
reelbig fish

The AIS is very easy to replace, but make sure that the AIS is the problem in the first place. Check all the electrical and vacuum connections before going out and buying stuff you may not need. I found some shorted wires to the AIS motor in my 93 shadow that once fixed solved all my idle problems, and I didn't need a new AIS (even though I bought one anyway when troubleshooting) I have heard about cleaning the AIS, but I don't know anything about specifics on how to do that...sorry

hope this helps

Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM
royce

You will also want to make sure that the ais is functioning properly in relation to the computer. I had the same problem, but found that there was more to just cleaning and or changing. Start engine and bring to operating temp. Remove vacuum line from brake booster slowly to prevent stalling, then engine will climb in rpm's leave this sit for one minute not any less, and then remove the plug from the ais. What is happening is the computer sees an increase in rpm's and is trying to close the ais that is why you need to wait at least one minute before removing the plug. Now you can hook up the vacuum line back to the brake booster if the engine stalls no big deal. Then hook the plug back up to ais and restart engine. Your computer should now open the ais properly at start up.

Quick Reply: 1993 Shadow ES Idle Air Control Valve