General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help diagnosing knocking/ticking in 5.9 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:58 AM
dirty59rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing knocking/ticking in 5.9 Dakota

I've got a knocking or clicking noise in the motor of my 2000 dakota 5.9. It sounds like it's comin from the back half of the motor. The noiseis faint on start up but gets louder as the motor runs, then plains out. It's more consistant when the tranny is engaged in 1st, 2nd, D and OD. Also it speeds up when i give it more throttle. It is kinda sparatic when the tranny is in P and N. But when the tranny is engaged into Reverse, the noise is at it's most faint. I've also left the truck out of gear and gradually increaseed the throttle and found out that the motor seems to start missing or something at around 4500 rpm. It won't go over 4500 rpm when in P or N. It kicks back kinda like a rev limiter, but I have no rev limiter. I can run the rpms up past 4500, in a low gear while driving,and it seems fine.I should also state thati'm havin tranny trouble, which came a good whilebefore the knocking. My Reverse gear is pretty much gone, and I have no engine break when i run the rpms up in 1st gear and let off the throttle... Any advice? Thanks

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing knocking/ticking in 5.9 Dakota