General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how to time a dakota 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:41 PM
jjake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to time a dakota 5.9

how do you set the base timing on a 2000 dakota 5.9, is there a wire to disconnect, etc, want to check it

Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
dirty59rt
Default RE: how to time a dakota 5.9

i've got that a 2000 dakota r/t and if i'm correct, the computer will keep the timing set. you canturn the distributorjust slightly if you loosen it, but i believe the computer woill correct your timing no matterwhich way you turn it.i had to pull my entire distributor out when i installed a camshaft on my motor. when i put the distributor back in, i had problems w/ it running rich and the timing was off. come to find out, i had it of by 1 tooth on the distributor. i figured this out on my own after i carried it to the boys at dodge and had them try and troubleshoot the problem. i'm not sure what you have done, if you've done anything, but maybe this will help

Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
jjake
Default RE: how to time a dakota 5.9

Im just wanting to check my timing, everything might be ok , but I think to set the base timing there should be a wire to disconnect to eliminate the computer from correcting your timing, that is the base timing , then when you hook it back up the computer takes over, just not sure which wire to disconnect

Quick Reply: how to time a dakota 5.9