General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New lift pump, cam/crank sensor...same problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:20 PM
offduty51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lift pump, cam/crank sensor...same problem.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L HO Diesel has a problem on acceleration at times only when the A/C is on. After a new retro lift pump, crank and cam sensor, fuel filter and oh yeah.... $1500.00, the problem seems to be with the A/C clutch or possibly compressor since I don't have the problem with the A/C turned off. The A/C blows cold air all the time and doesn't seem to be making any unusual noises. The truck surges and drags intermittently at varying speeds and RPM's with the A/C runningand seems to do it worse after it is warmed up and been running a while. No codes associated with this prob. and again it runs fine with theA/C off. I'm thinkingit's a short, but looking to narrow down where to start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/73771/0BDC05F04E654EB59BB4FB11C21010EA.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: New lift pump, cam/crank sensor...same problem.

compressor can be shot.. and still work under what seems to be normal conditions... take a pipe.. put it on the compressor while its running.. put your ear to the other end of the pipe.. listen to see if it has any grinding noises coming thru the pipe.. that will give you a better idea.. me.. i would replace the a/c compressor.. you can also try to add some compressor oil to it see if it helps

Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 AM
offduty51
Default RE: New lift pump, cam/crank sensor...same problem.

Thanks for the tip. I found a bare wire shorting on one of the compressor lines. I cleaned it and heat shrink wrapped it and so far so good. My dad use to use one of those pipes to check for engine trouble. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New lift pump, cam/crank sensor...same problem.