General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator Wiring specifics needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 PM
cykaaro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Wiring specifics needed

Ok, for the short story: I own a Jeep '90XJ and am upgrading the alternator. Since I offroad, I needed a larger power alt to run everything [lights, winch etc.] Now, the '91 and up uses a different alt so taking the bracket off of it and putting it on the '90 will allow to fit the newer alt as they are very different than the pre-91 models.
Now, the alt going in is a 136amp Denso. The donor vehicle is 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. The '90XJ uses an internal regulator, and from a local Chryco dealership and a mechanic from where I work part time have both said it's definitely an internal regulator out of the 1500. So if this is in fact correct, [don't know if anyone here knows yeah or nay about this] it should be an almost simple swap in.
On the XJ's alot there are three wires. One of course is the battery cable [red] and the connector, one is for the ECU and the other is for the cluster. I've an FSM so it's easy to figure out. The issue becomes is the 1500 alt has the battery cable connector [a no brainer] but as an oval connector for the other two wires. What I need to find out, is which pin on the denso alt is which. Does anyone know?

TIA

Quick Reply: Alternator Wiring specifics needed