General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Straight Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:39 AM
MyRamCharger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Pipe

What exactly would be the benifits of straight piping a truck with a 2bbl carb? I've heard it increases horsepower, gas mileage and lowers backpressure

Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Straight Pipe

What do you mean by straight piping?

Old 11-27-2004, 02:37 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

I believe he's referring to removing the cat converter and muffler, and just running straight pipes from the manifolds back.

Personally, I would advise against it, but that's just my opinion. The big concern is emissions testing, if you have it in your area. You'll fail the visual inspection and the sniffer/dyno test. Second, you'd probably get better performance out of a high flow cat and a good flowing muffler (like a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, or Dynamax). Straight pipes would probably be very loud too. If this is your daily driver, it might be way too loud to tolerate for any length of time.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

I have 1 40series flowmaster with 2 1/2" turndowns and it is pretty loud....I saw a pretty big jump in hp when the converter was removed, more difference than when i put the muffler on.....I get better mpg now and with the CAI I can push out all the air i am sucking in....RAMTUFF is right about the inspection problems however! Here in Oklahoma we don't have inspections and a lot of people with hopped-up cars are running with no converters, but that doesn't mean you still can't get a ticket if a cop really wants to give you one! Basically you will see performance gains, lower torque off the start, and better fuel economy.....(in my opinion)

Quick Reply: Straight Pipe